Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit confused on a few things...today 2 of my degus were making high pitch winchin noises when they went near each other and then they kinda dash...are they fighting? They make this same noise wen they are eating and one goes near the others food dish.
I've read that they are meant to eat brown hay but i can only get green hay..is this ok for them? also are apple leaves ok for them to eat? And as a treat could i give them uncooked pasta shells?
I got them a salt lick the other day and exercise balls but bella just rolls herself into a corner and starts chewing like mad on it!! but at least lulu and mimi like it :)

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Degus "argue" sometimes. If they aren't drawing blood, they're fine :).

"Green" hay is fine but what's more important is what kind it is. They should get unlimited grass hay like timothy, brome, or orchard grass. You don't want to feed them alfalfa.

Don't feed them any part of an apple, including the leaves. They can, however, have apple branches. I wouldn't feed them pasta, either, that's just going to turn into sugar. Better treats are fresh vegetables/herbs/grasses/flowers, nuts, and the occasional piece of sugar-free cereal.

Degus don't need salt wheels and most prefer to chew on wood or cardboard. Yeah, many degus don't like exercise balls. It's ok if your other two like them (I personally don't use them) but remember to give them mostly free-range time :).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for all the advice! I have no idea what kinda of hay it is to be honest! My friend got it for me from someone she knows.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts