Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi! i'm new here, heh. and i don't know where else to go and i have already tried google. so here's my issue.

in july i got a rat as a gift from my fiance since my hamster died in feb. she was seven weeks old and is a dumbo rat, and her name is Lidy. i've bonded with her so much that she gets defencive of me if my fiance and i play fight. she so cute. >.> anyway, i work a lot. and i don't have that much time to have her out as much as i like. so i figured it was time to get a companion. thing is, i didn't want to get another female cause i heard from a lot of rat owners, that they fight a lot. and viciously, so going with a male would be my best bet if i wanted her safe. so... a week ago, i got a male rat. he's a bit older i think, about a month or so. he's not much bigger then she is. his name is Adyn and he's also a dumbo rat. ^ ^ i've already been through the introductions, which took about a week for them to get used to each other. they showed signs of being great friends, cuddling and playing with each other, so i cleaned out her cage, got rid of her scent on everything and place them in together. they instantly made it their home.

about ten minutes into them settling down, he tries to mount her. --; and they've been in the same cage for about three days now. and each day, their fights are getting worse. he wants to mate, but she doesn't. and today i pull Lidy out and see she has a fresh new gash on her leg from him. so i said enough is enough, and separated them. so now... i'm thinking about getting him neutered. will this help his aggression towards her at all? is it the best choice? or should i just let them be? please help me out with any info. that would be greatly loved. ^ ^ thanks.

~Emma

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Please do not put them back together! I would be surprised if she was not already pregnant. What you heard about female rats fighting is incorrect, they can usually live in pairs and groups very successfully. If you want to get him neutered they could live together, but you should read up on some ways to introduce them and get them used to each other so that they don't fight.

Rat gestation is about 21 days. There are other members who have bred rats, so hopefully they can tell you what to look for and what to do if she is pregnant. You might just end up with a girl for her to live with after all. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you! ^ ^ i will keep that in mind. it good to hear that females can live well together. least from someone. cause i was getting worried there. this is my first time with two rats. i've always had one. actually, Lidy is my second rat. o.o; so... i'm a little new to this.

i did introductions and everything went really well. they only had a fit once but i'm pretty sure it was Lidy telling him she was dominant. XD cause ever since, he's been really submissive. up until i put them in the cage together. then he just keeps following her and trying to mount her and she doesn't like it. he still acts really submissive after a fight, like he literaly cowers and pouts in a corner. >.>; but i don't want to put them back together till i know what to do at this point.

if anyone could tell me the signs of her being preggy that would be great also. o.o; would it be better if the other female was her child? how do rats do after they split from thier offspring, anyway?

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Rats go into heat every 4-5 days usually in the evening...they are very very fertile...I will have my fingers crossed that teeny young Lidy is not pregnant and that he was only in the cage the 3 days she wasn't fertile. Otherwise you are on baby watch which is 21-23 day gestation.

You could get him neutered so that they can live together safely or you could look into getting her spayed where it has so many health benefits such as reduction of mammary tumours, no uterine infections, etc. :) Spaying is usually more invasive a surgery and is more expensive but worth it. You do need a good vet though.

My biggest colony right now is 10 girls and 1 neutered boy. My 2nd biggest colony is 2 neutered boys and 6 girls...groups get along very very well, but you might have to look up proper introduction techniques. :)

Girls can get along beautifully or they can fight just like other rats.
It all depends on their personalities and how they were introduced. Lidy sounds nice and young and should benefit from a spay or you can get the male neutered, that is a nice combo as well. My favorite and happiest groups have a neutered male in with them.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If he's still with her, it's likely she's preggo. If it's been more than 5 days that they've been togeather, I'd bet on your female being pregnant, and would leave them togeather for the time being. About a week before she is due she will get VERY fat (look like she swallowed a large tennis ball!). Once you notice the swelling belly, expect babies within a week.

WHEN you notice the signs of pregnancy, REMOVE the male and put him in his own separate cage. If you don't, the female will become receptive within 24 hrs of having babies and will breed back.

Allow her to raise her babies to 4 or 4.5 weeks of age, then separate the male babies from the mother and the sisters, because rats can breed that young. You can then sell the weanlings off or keep two separate colonies, a female colony and a male colony. There will be ocassional spats but mostly rats live very well in a community. I currently have a pair of males living togeather, a pair of sisters (one of which is raising babies) and a single female living alone with her 4 babies.

Rats also wrestle all the time, most of the 'fighting' you're seeing is likely play. Scratches sometimes happen with rambunctious fighting.

·
Dinky Gerbilelbow
2,425 Posts
I have 7 girls living together and 5 boys living together.....i would say your girl is probably pregnant already as it only takes a second!! If not i would have her spayed so she can live with your boy in harmony!

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
My bet is that your girl is pregnant and if you don't neuter the male or keep him separate than they are probably going to keep on mating and you'll have tons of babies.
Girl ratties are fine to live together and neutered males with females are fine to because rats are highly social.
Good luck.

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
good grief. you poor misinformed thing. yup your girl is so VERY likely prego. separate them for sure, no matter how bad it sounds, as long as there's no blood, rats are okay. since you girl has visible wounds, separation is a must. and prepare two cages so the boys can live together, and likewise the girls. neither girl nor boy rats like being alone. they both LOVE companionship and you'll love watching them sleep in ratty piles :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
I agree you very likely have a pregnant rat. I would definitely start offering some foods with a little more protein and lots and lots of water just in case. If you haven't yet, they must be separated! You were terribly misinformed! Rats breed almost constantly and should not be bred if you don't know the genetic background of your animals because there are soo many lines that have been corrupted with disease and other genetic defaults. Unfortunately now you are stuck with the possibility of a large group of unwanted rats who may or may not be healthy long term. I have bred rats and raised babies so if she is pregnant and you have questions along that line please feel free to pm me.

Girls get along great together. I personally have five girls together in the same cage. Do they fight? yes. Here's the fact, all rats fight. It's how they play and how they establish a social hierarchy. As long as there is no serious injury you just let it go and live with it. As a general rule with some basic intros, most females get along together just fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.