Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been reading a lot about this raw feeding thing for CoCo...I'm kind of weird like that I guess... if something interests me...I'll research it and study it, taking notes and all as if I have a test on it...for no reason because it interest me... lol Any who.

So I went out to the health store and bought a bag of that Nature's Variety Lamb pattiese, just to see what it is exactly . (I know.... for $14 for 3lbs... I'm a VERY curious person... lol)

So I was thinking. How bout making my own patties?

For instance, for "beef patties," I can take some lean beef, mix it with some baby food such as carrots, peas, squash etc, and because CoCo is a puppy, do a 3:1 ratio of meat to veggies? Then once I get her on an all raw diet, as I read, then I can add supplements to it such as bone meal to balance out the calcium:meat, and vitamins, etc? I could then make them into little patties, shape and freeze?

And I dont know about feeding her chicken though...it grosses me out if I'll have to see her chomp on a raw chicken leg or something... lol Maybe I could take most of the meat off the thighs, throw that in a food processor and do the same with the ground meat above? And then just give her that bone on the side??

What do you think? Will this work?

·
Registered
968 Posts
I don't know anything about raw feeding, so I won't be much help there. I just wanted to say that I've heard chicken and turkey bones are bad for dogs.

Hopefully someone who feeds raw will be able to help you out with the rest. :)

·
Wacky Chimpnose
6,239 Posts
We really need Carmen to post here because she feeds Biscuit the raw food diet.

Carmen? Where aaaare yooou? :D

Btw CoCo - her screen name is RSBunny if you want to PM her. :)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I don't know anything about feeding raw,but I have only heard good things about it.

However turkey and chicken bones are bad for dogs,as they can choke on them,if they splinter.

·
Registered
479 Posts
i feed my doggies a raw diet, i give them alot of different things such as raw chicken necks/wings, diced lamb with vegetables potato and pasta (pene), lamb heart,lamb liver, chicken mince also with veggies and pasta, I even mix some wholemeal bread with the mixes.

any bone can choke a dog but uncooked bones will not choke your dog as they are still soft.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
raw is a great way to feed if you can handle it. My dogs get supplemented with Raw. They eat Canidae dry the rest of the time.

Like Nikky said, uncooked bones won't splinter like cooked ones.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Chicken and turkey bones only splinter when they are cooked. If you feed you pet a raw food diet they need the suppliments in the bones. Chicken is also one of the most widely used meats in raw food diets. Putting it in a food processor is a good idea. You have to remember to add the appropriate suppliments. Veggies are also very important and must be cooked, raw vegetables can't be digested properly.

Your pet can live a healthy life on just raw food there is not need to suppliment with kibble. There is nothing wrong with giving the a cookie or 2.

Donna

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks so much guys!

i decided to do a mixture of kibbles (innova) and pre made raw for now (nature variety)

I bought some baby food (checking ingredients for "onion powder") to give her a little taste of what veggies taste like, and put a dab on her raw medallions with a dab of yogurt. She LOVES it.

I think I'm going to do this, feeding kibble and raw separately of course, until I can do more research and feel more comfy on feeding raw. ie. making sure it would provide her with ALL her nutritional need. Because she is only 3 months old, and the next few months are VERY crucial in getting all her vitamins and minerals, I really dont want to gamble with her!

I'll just wait until her puppy stage is over, then get into it.

In the mean time, I'm very open to a point in the right direction in terms of books, websites, etc. on raw feeding.

TIA!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts