Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
um ok so i was 2 degu in a 29 gallon tank, i woke up this morning and there were 5 baby degu in there. I looked on the net and still have no idea what to do.:confused: I know the parents should be seperated, and that they pretty much take care of themselves, but any thing you feel I should know to better take care of the lil guys would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I do not know much about babies, but a good start would be getting them out of the fish tank. They will do much better in an open air cage. Just make sure you get something that does not have wide spaced bars that the babies can slip out of.
Even just the two degus you had need more space than a 29 gallon fishtank.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had degues years ago and when I got them I had no clue what to do. They were all inbred and I couldnt find anything on the internet.
Based on what I seen & found, both parents will help raise the litter, but there is a risk that the male will try to breed the female right away.
They nurse from their mom for an average of 8 weeks (some as little as 4 weeks though)
Its best to leave them alone for the first few days and if you do handle them, keep it short.
The more room the better, a pair shoud be housed in nothing smaller then
70 L x 70 H x 44 W cm

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I agree with the above posters, you need a MUCH larger enclosure. Other than that, just make sure the mother is getting a good quality diet and isn't being stressed (like by unnecessary handling). Degus are usually good parents :).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Most important thing I found out was to seperate the male for the first 4 days after that he can be reintroduced to the babies and momma to help raise them. Not to scare you but I did not know this when my newly bought females had a litter and 3 months later another litter. And I don't think she had milk cause the babies were not growing, but luckily my other female had babies 5 days later and took over the nursing and know all 5 are all grown and ready for their new homes :) Well I have learned that I am going to keep the 1 male that they had and house him with Daddy so no more little accidents can happen. I'm getting overrun with Degu's and although I LOVE it, it is very expensive to feed, house, I have to buy a couple new cages now for the babies if they don't sell, Which is ok with me cause I'm growing quite fond of them and there unique coloring :). But yes Mommy and Daddy pretty much take care of them another imporant thing is to keep the temperature around the cage at 70 degrees ferenheight. The babies for the first 8 days cannot produce their own body heat and they need to remain around 70 degrees until then. Mommy and daddy will sit on them for most of time but better safe then sorry I always say. Enjoy the little ones!! They are so much fun :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts