Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago, my cat, Abby, started acting lethargic. I figured maybe she had a touch of some kitty illness, but otherwise she was fine. I gave her a few days to see if she'd get better, but she stopped eating, barely touched her water, and when she began straining to go poop, I immediately made an appointment with the vet.

She was tested for feline leukemia, which came back negative. Her temperature was a little on the high side, but not quite feverish. The vet gave me a cat laxative and told me to administer it 3 times a day. Eventually, Abby had a few bowel movements, but also lost her meow and began drooling and spitting up a lot. I brought her back to the vet yesterday, where they took some blood and urine for testing, as well as giving her some fluids because she was a little dehydrated. I'm waiting on a call from the vet right now, but I wanted to know if anyone's cats here had ever experienced similar symptoms:

• Lethargy
  • Near-refusal to eat or drink
  • Excessive drooling
  • Excessive swallowing and smacking of the lips/tongue
  • Loss of voice/meow
  • Dry-heaving and occasional spitting up
  • General grumpy disposition

I've taken to squirting water into her mouth/throat with a plastic syringe from the vet so she'll get some fluids, and giving her some high-calorie booster paste so she gets some nutrients. She will, on occasion, eat wet food, which I frequently offer, in addition to her usual dry food, which she barely touches. Often, she dry heaves, or wretches, and sometimes thick, sticky spit will come out.

I don't know what the vet's next step will be. Probably an X-ray. I love my cat, but my wallet is taking a huge beating and any advice on what I can do to help her get better would be much appreciated!

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Do you have any house plants? It kind of sounds like she ate a poisonous plant.
(I am only guessing, I am not a vet. You should still take her to the vet)

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
You should definetly bring her to a vet it does sound like she may of eaten a plant or she may have an infection.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have any house plants, and Abby is an indoor-only cat. It's entirely possible that she ate something she shouldn't have. She's been to the vet twice and they still don't know what the problem is; her lab work came back perfectly normal. I'm considering taking her to the vet my girlfriend goes to and letting them give her a second opinion! Or a...first opinion, since my vet is stumped!

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
That is a good idea. In order to figure out what was wrong with my late mouse I had to take her to a few vets before there was an answer.
Maybe a different vet has experienced this before.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
it almost sounds like it has a sore tongue i'm not sure what the name is but sometimes cat get it at work. Open the mouth and look for a little cancer sore on the tongue

·
Registered
802 Posts
Second vet opinion is good, hope its nothing serious about Abby, crossing fingers to get her well soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts