Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far it's been easy to add rats to my "teenage" doe colony, but I wanted to add 2 more girls to finish it off and it's been SO difficult. I am slowly doing it...having them play every day for 25 minutes together. It's just not going well though. How do I get them to get along? The 2 girls that I'm trying to get in are MUCH smaller/younger. Should I just let them get a little bigger and then try again? I don't know how to approach this. Please help me. I really need them to be able to live with the teenage gals.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's 2 of the girls. They corner them and try and dominate them. They pin them down until they cry :( They are super rough. We've tried to have them play together 5 times already.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
It's 2 of the girls. They corner them and try and dominate them. They pin them down until they cry :( They are super rough. We've tried to have them play together 5 times already.
Any blood?

Are you doing neutral intro's first?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
okay, so we put the little ones in the cage and the big girls pin them down very roughly and make them stay in the corner. If the girls try to eat or drink they get chased down and pinned again. We hear the poor things screaming. In the end they'll get to the point where they are so scared they either wet themselves and then cling to the side of the cage (this is where mommy freaks out and removes them) When I checked them out they were not bleeding, but they did have a bunch of scratches.

Originally there were just 4 in this cage...and then we added 2 more with NO PROBLEM. I don't understand why they allowed Penelope and Luna in (Penelope and Lula were about the same size as the other girls), but not these little girls. They COMPLETELY accepted Penelope and Lula, yet they just won't accept the little girls. What can I do differently? Should I wait until they are older and try again?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
It sounds like you'll have to spend a lot more time with them in a neutral zone first, before you try to integrate the little ones into the same cage as the others. This might even be a case in which they simply will not get along, which can happen from time to time. If you want them to get along, I'd recommend trying neutral time more often and gradually extending the length of time they are together, always with close supervision during these visits.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts