Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a ninety gallon pond in my back yard that my two adult male red eared sliders live in. My nephew also has a adult male red eared slider that he is no longer able/willing to care for. I would like to take his turtle to add to my enviorment, however I am concerned about my two turtles not welcoming or possibly injuring the new addition. Should I be concerned or do male red eared sliders take well to each other being introduced as full grown adults.

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
Are there lots of hiding places in the pond? If there are lots of hiding places there,they should be fine.However sometimes turts just don't like eachother.Keep your eye on them and any signs of fighting,you should remove them.

Before introducing the new turt tho,you should quaratine him.

· Herp Nerd
1,116 Posts
Aquatic turtles in general are pretty competitive, they will compete with each other for food, for the best basking spots, sometimes even just not get along. All you can really do is try it (after a quarantine of a few months, as was recommended, so you can be absolutely sure he doesn't have anything he might possibly give to your turtles) and keep a very close eye on their behavior. If one seems to shy away, not get adequate basking time, or seem to not be as interested in eating as the others, then he should be removed. I haven't heard of any fast rule on them, and myself have often put multiple turtles together without serious issue, but more space is always better. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.