Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Tucker went to the vet Friday for his next round of shots. He has been completely 100% fine since the incident last weekend. We mentioned it to the vet and she felt that it was not a seizure as it didn't really fit the symptoms of traditional dog seizures. Rather, she felt like it was a reaction rather similar to when you stub your toe really good and it hurts so bad you almost don't know what to do. It just took him a minute like it would take us a minute for that feeling to pass. Tucker is growing at an amazing rate and our vet feels that based on his characteristics and physical attributes that he is a pitbull/boxer mix. They are estimating him to be around 40 pounds. Needless to say, this is quite a bit more than we were told he would be as an adult!!! I wish that the adoption folks would have just said, "Hey, we have no idea what kind of puppies these are" rather than telling us he was a chihuahua mix and that he'd be no bigger than 7lbs as an adult. We adopted him because our other dogs are small and we wanted a small dog. 40lbs is not a small dog to us. We love him and we are going to keep him, but we are a little unhappy that we were led to adopt him with things they told us. We think pits are great dogs but would never have willingly adopted one. Our vet encouraged us to take him to both a socialization class and puppy training class (commands) as he is still being timid around strangers and in his breed, fear is the most common cause of aggression. I took some cute pictures yesterday, I'll upload them tomorrow.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
I know how you feel. My local shelter is pretty good at guessing but still. One of my friends got a puppy there labeled weimaraner mix. Well...not sure if he has any weimaraner in him but looks very much like a silver great dane lol. Thats a BIG difference.

Ho yeah...Wyatt is a BIG boy lol

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Oh I'm sorry about your troubles. I know the volunteers of a shelter can be a little dunce sometimes. It's not your fault and I understand your frustration. Maybe Tucker will be a little smaller than 40lbs? Hopefully, but I stil think owning a mix like that would be super rewarding. You will not regret it. I'd die for a Staffie ^^
About the fear, it will only turn to fear if you let it. I know right now he is scared, so get a hold of a trainer and get him in a social obedience class where other dogs are facing the same thing as he is. He will model after the other dogs. Who told you fear= aggression? He's still very young, not quite past his socialization prime so despite his fading diarrhea I would take him everywhere with you starting ASAP!! It's crucial to introduce him to everything he will ever experience at a young age.

*I know you know all that anyway, just thought I'd stick it in :) Best of luck!!! I'm glad to hear his health is best kind!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not that the volunteers were dumb at all, I just don't think they should tell people that a dog is a certain breed or will only be a certain size as an adult unless they are 100% sure. I think the responsible thing to do is to say, "we don't know what type of dog this is" and not toss out size assumptions because like I said, if we lived in a small apartment, we could not keep Tucker and that would suck for all involved. His is timid and we are getting him enrolled in a class for socializing puppies. If we don't socialize him and his fear grows (and HE grows), that fear will eventually lead him to be aggressive. We can't have that under any circumstances so will be taking the necessary steps to make sure he learns how to feel comfortable in lots of situations.

I didn't get to upload the pics tonight but hope to in the next few days so you all can see how big he's getting and how cute he is :)

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
^^ Aw I can't wait for new pics :)

I totally see what you're saying, so you were intentionally told he would be a small dog?? That's very ignorant and irresponsible of them.. If you lived in a small apartment, like you said, you would have to rehome him... The shelter might receive many returns from their little method o_O I think that's dunce. But I'm glad to hear he's getting big and strong!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, we were told (and it's also written down on the papers they gave us) that he is a chihuahua mix and expected max size as an adult is 7lbs. CLEARLY not the case LOL

Here are a few pictures (you can see the weird thing his one ear is doing in the 2nd pic!):

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Aw he's so cute! I'm sorry you where misled about his size when you adopted him.

How old is he now? He's getting big! I love the one ear up and one down...Tucker should talk to my dog Kitsune - he has one ear up and one down too :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
What an innocent and adorable face, he got bigger face which probably not a chihuahua. Hope there would be more ways to know what kind of breed dogs were aside from DNA testing and guessing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

He is very curious about the cats, and yesterday galloped over to Hayley and got right on top of her LOL Poor Hayley. She gave him a few smacks in the snout and he got the message.

He's afraid of pretty much everyone and everything that is not ours, meaning he will not go by anyone except me, my husband or our two kids and he is afraid of animals that our not ours. We have been taking him next door to my mom's to start trying to get him used to her and her house (we are going away overnight in a few weeks and he will stay the night with her) and he won't go by her, even for a treat. It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen. He's terrified any time we take him any where but in our home he is super friendly and the biggest lover.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts