Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In may we rescuded a rat from Pets at Home, they couldnt make up there mind how old he was, the paperwork ranging from 8 months to 18months, it didnt matter, he was coming home with us!
anyway hes a husky but lost all his markings so we think he is nearer the 18month mark!
Just recently he has been sleeping loads, which is totally unlike him and now hes starting to lose his appitite, do you think it may be worth a trip to vets to get him checked or could it just be old age?

Before anyone says anything about him being on his own, he cannot be with other rats, please dont do what another forum did and thats claim that Im cruel and I should rehome him to someone who cares and will put him with other rats, as he cannot be kept with other rats, we have tried and tried but he jsut keeps attacking them and nearly killing them, he is sadly a lone rat, which is heartbreaking, but theres nothing we can do!

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Older rats slow down alot and sleep more.
Is he breathing normally? Is there any discharge coming from eyes,nose or mouth? A vet trip wouldn't hurt,but if you feel he is fine and he is healthy and not in pain or discomfort,then it is not needed.

I have had lone rats before.They will not accept any other rat.I know how it is.Sure,rats usually do better in pairs...but there is always an exception.Just give him extra love and attention.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I agree, a trip to the vet might be a good idea. Another thing to try would be to change his food--it seems that some rats will get fussy about the food they eat (one of mine was like that), and by giving a different base food you might see him eating a bit more. (In either case, if you notice after a couple of days that he's still not eating, you probably should take him to see a vet.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Older rats slow down alot and sleep more.
Is he breathing normally? Is there any discharge coming from eyes,nose or mouth? A vet trip wouldn't hurt,but if you feel he is fine and he is healthy and not in pain or discomfort,then it is not needed.

I have had lone rats before.They will not accept any other rat.I know how it is.Sure,rats usually do better in pairs...but there is always an exception.Just give him extra love and attention.

finally someone who understands lone rats, so thank you! he has free range every day and his tank door is always open! His eyes, nose and mouth seem fine, so I will keep an eye on him and see how he goes,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, a trip to the vet might be a good idea. Another thing to try would be to change his food--it seems that some rats will get fussy about the food they eat (one of mine was like that), and by giving a different base food you might see him eating a bit more. (In either case, if you notice after a couple of days that he's still not eating, you probably should take him to see a vet.)
thank you also for thisreply, Ill give this one a try!!

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
It is normal for older rats to slow down and some rats are just fussy eaters, one of my rats wont eat his vegetables, but he'll eat everything else! But if you are worried than a vets trip wouldn't hurt. I have 4 rats, 2 of which are lone for the same reason as yours, so I fully understand, and I know they are usually just as healthy as those that are in pairs- or more :)
Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts