Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I was hoping that maybe I could get some advice/help on my newest ratties, Hal and Logan.

I've had rats for several years now, but the boys I've kept before I always adopted when they've been closer to the four to six month mark. Today, I received my first real babies: a little hairless girl (at around five or six weeks) and Hal and Logan (two gray hooded dumbos, who are littermates). The gal I adopted them from just said everyone was ready to go their new homes and, stupid me, I didn't think to ask how old they were. Turns out they were just weaned at four weeks!

I know that's really too young for them to be on their own without their mom, so my question is, how do I take care of them properly at this age? They seem way more scared than Rosie (the hairless gal, who's doing just fine), or any of the other kids I've ever brought home... I'm assuming because they're so young? What can I do to make them more comfortable? They're even just startled when you walk by. :(

Thank you in advance for any help; I really appreciate it!!!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
With new rats, often there is an adjustment period while they are getting used to you. There are tons of threads on this forum about taming new rats...I like to use the hooded sweatshirt method, myself. Just take your time with them and be patient, and they should be comfortable around you in no time!

Also, not sure if you are keeping them all together, but just in case, you'll want to be sure to separate the males from the female. She could get pregnant now, even at her young age. I'd recommend getting her a female companion and housing the males and females separately, unless you are going to neuter the males. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts