Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting an african clawed frog. I have a spare ten gal with lots of filtration. It will be upgraded to my forty down the road but the ten it the min housing suggestion. But I was wondering how much the cost per month. plus what foods I should be getting. I have Reptomin and a breeding trio of guppies I will feed the fry to him. I just want to know costs and such to make sure I'm totally sure before I bring the little one home.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
If you already have the tank/supplies, they really don't cost much at all. I probably spend about $5/month or less on bloodworms for him, and when I get my beardie crickets or waxworms he gets those too.
I just got mine a new filter cause he clogged his old one to death, and I bought a heater a couple years ago when my tank got freakishly cold during the winter, and I just got a new syphon too, but that's really the only maintenance stuff I've had to buy since I adopted him 3 or 4 years ago... Unless you count decorations and stuff, but that's more for my enjoyment LOL.

They are pretty cheap and easy little pets. :)

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yeah i have sun dried shrimp and some blood worms for him :) And my dad gets crickets for his tarantulas so i can stick one in with him :) I may need to buy a heater but they like cool water so we will see how the temp sits when i set it up. I would love something to just sit and watch :) I do with Spots but I love watching froggy behavior :)

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
You usually don't need a heater for them, but my water temp got down to, like, 60*F one winter, whick is a tad on the cold side!
They are really neat little guys. If you get a male, they will sing at night. It's so relaxing to listen to!

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will probably get a little baby if I can find one so I wont know the gender for a little while. :) I'm so looking forward to the little one :) I already have all the food and tank decor and such :) Just need to move and cycle my tank which since i have two cycled tanks wont be hard or long I put extra filter floss in one :)

what substrate do you use? I read pea size gravel is ok since its small enough to pass. but what would you recommend? I would really prefer no sand dont wanna risk filter damage

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
I used gravel at first, but when I saw him almost eat it I switched to sand right away. It can be a pain to clean, but otherwise I have no complaints. It's 110% safe for them, and it's a great place for "good" bacteria to grow.
Here is what my ACF tank looks like:

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats so cute :) I may get some playsand for the tank :)

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Thanks! :D
Yeah, now that I've had sand for so long, I actually like how it looks much better than gravel!

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it wasnt the look its i already have the gravel for the tank lol So i wanted to use that

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
it wasnt the look its i already have the gravel for the tank lol So i wanted to use that
If you're getting an ACF you may need to switch it out anyway. They can choke on gravel (and it's basically a death sentence unless the gravel is really small). For ACFs you want to use smooth river rocks, sand, or just go bare-bottom :).

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
And to add to what Sasami said, sand it usually the best option IMO because it is harder to cycle a bare bottom or river stone tank, because there isn't anywhere for the "good" bacteria to grow.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have Two cycled tanks So cycling is not a problem. I was thinking about taking some stones from this tank So it brings bacteria and its safe for my froggy :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts