Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm concerned about my ADF. On her right front leg where her webbing is, there is red and it looks smaller than normal. When I bought her from the store she had a bump on her left back leg, but I had no idea if that was normal or why she had that? When I brought her home she was very active, but now she just floats in one spot most of the time. She has cloudy eyes and sheds often, and the red on her webbing concerns me as well. She is still eating, which I think is good news but I'm worried about her. I don't know if she is hurt or sick I don't know what to do? I went to petco and they said they don't carry medicine? I don't even know what it is? Please help!

I cant post photos:(

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
How big is her tank, and have you gotten her water tested lately? Do you know what the perimeters are? It sounds like it might be ammonia burn, which would get better with proper water conditions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 gallon and a half, no I haven't gotten the water tested lately but she has a tank mate and he is super healthy and active?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I agree with Jess, it could be ammonia burn. When did you last test and change the water? I would do an immediate water change.

Your tank is too small for two ADFs, you'll need at least a 5-gallon or they're likely to get sick again even if they recover.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Yeah, you definitely need a much larger tank. Maintaining good water conditions in a small overcrowded tank is basically impossible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How does ammonia burn happen? I havent tested it I don't know how to? I just changed the water 2 days ago, and I actually was thinking about getting a bigger tank this week

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
You'd need a test kit to test the ammonia levels. Pet stores will also test water samples for you, normally for free.

Ammonia is a toxic waste product that can build up quickly in smaller, unstable tanks. It causes chemical burns, makes animals sick, and can make it difficult for the animals in the tank to breathe. In large, well-maintained aquariums it's rarely a problem because there are colonies of beneficial bacteria that convert it into less-toxic forms (which are removed through water changes). In large aquariums it's also not as dangerous because it gets diluted and takes longer to build up to toxic quantities.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow thank you so much! So is putting the water conditioner pointless for small tanks? And before I put clean water I always let it sit out for 48 hours because I read it helps evaporate the chlorine is this helpful? Well either way I'm getting a bigger tank because obviously it's making my frog sick. I will also get a water testing kit, thank you

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
The water conditioner is good for getting rid of the chlorine, but it won't really help with the ammonia. The only way you really can dilute the ammonia is to do a water change.
Letting the water sit for 48 hours will evaporate the chlorine, but doing that isn't necessary if you are using a water conditioner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts