Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got two new degus from the pet store and they were fairly young. So for a while they were skittish since i had taken them away from their mother and they were settling into a new home. Eventually they became more and more comfortable and would no longer scurry away and hide whenever i entered the room. They even started eating out of my hand TOGETHER but now, they are starting to get aggressive towards eachother whenever i put my hand in the cage to offer them treats. Im not sure if its only the one degu that isn't letting the other near my hand or both but, im just wondering if now that they've gotten a little older and are comfortable in their new home, are they trying to prove their dominance? I just need to know if this is normal behaviour. They are both males.

Thank you!

-Liya

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well when I put my hand in the cage one will come up and take some treats and when the other one comes up to it th e first degu will like squeak and push the other one away and the other will keep coming up to my hand and the first degu will keep jumping on it and they just kinda go crazy around the cage. It doesn't seem like they are really hurting eachother. I think they were about 4 weeks old when i got them and ive had them for 3 now.

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
Sounds like typical "arguing", nothing to worry about :). Most degus argue over food, haha, so having two food dishes can help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.