Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Alabama Ghost Boy August 2011 Update

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Vladina 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Random Ghostboy update for you all. The six boys are doing well, with a few bumps in the road, pun intended.

Just one week after my last update with the Corn Cob Night pics, I noticed a lump on Tucker about the size of a grape. My poor big man. For anyone who doesn't know, Tucker is my laid back Marlon Brando alpha boy, and he and his brother Jeffrey (Indiana Jones) are the original two of all of my current rats.

So, I took him into the vet this last Thursday and had it removed. The vet said it was loose and unconnected like a benign tumor, but was hard and dense like he's seen with fibrous malignancies. However, the cell structure under the microscope didn't look cancerous. I've had him send the tumor off to be biopsied to see what the heck it is.

He is bouncing back quickly from the surgery. Here he is the day of surgery sporting his new hair cut and pirate scar and a bit stoned from the morphine still. We joked that he was ticked at us for discovering his sub-dermal spy implant and taking it out. He just thought he was being sneaky in his plans for world domination.

Woaaah. Steady now. No falling over. Must find that delicious piece of egg I saw earlier on the table.

Nom nom nom. Victory is mine! Eggy Goodness mmmmm.

Now, five days later, here's another couple of views of his surgery.

Is that hair growing back in spotty patches?

Skinner, half of my neutered hairless duo has become a domestic queen. Long gone are the days when he used to be terrified of King Tucker. He's been taking such good care of him this week.

Skinner's been very, VERY, busy.

Meanwhile, Black Pete, younger half brother to Tucker and Jeffrey has been sticking close to his favorite big brother buddy, hero, and friend Jeffrey. Scruffy Jeffrey is showing the kid the ropes.

And lest he be forgotten, here's a shot of my mellow man Melon, the other half of my hairless duo, enjoying top spot in the newest hammock this morning. Mmmm. Snugglygoodness.

I don't have any pics of number six boy Zmei, but he's had a busy week. He spent the evening at the library while I worked there last Thursday. He met lots of friends, and hung out in my neck donut sling-his favorite place-coming out for some occasional luvin. A child fed him his first dumdum sucker during the visit. You don't know funny until you've seen a rat try to secure a sticky ball of high fructose corn syrup and flavoring on a stick.

He tried grasping the ball, but his fingers kept sticking. He tried biting the ball, but his teeth kept sticking. He tried licking the ball, but it kept rolling away. He tried grasping the ball, but his fingers kept sticking. He tried biting the ball, but...you get the idea. Rinse and repeat as often as necessary.

See less See more
#2 ·
:heart: :heart: Aww, I love seeing photos of your boys, and I really hope that Tucker recovers quickly! It sounds kind of like Stanley's tumor, though that one will unfortunately be inoperable, due to his age and size. :( I totally love your tissue paper roll in the cage--what a fun idea!!! :D

#3 ·
I saw someone else do that with the TP. Someone else used empty TP tubes like logs and strung them together with yarn to make a rope bridge.

Another Idea I liked...someone got one of those little plastic snap containers that gumball machine rings come in and gives that to her rats filled with yogis. It's a hoot watching them try to open it up.

#6 ·
Aww, sweet Tucker, what a trooper he is! Poor baby...but he looks like he would say, "Eh, no big deal...hey, a piece of egg!"
Rats are so adaptable..they just roll with the flow, don't they? It is so sweet that Skinner is taking care of him. How sweet is that? Rats are incredible at comforting their buddies. :)
And lil Pete! Looking up to his big half brother Jeffrey. Pete says, "He's my hero!" So adorable! I love seeing your pictures of the boys so much. What a great gang of kids you have. :dream:

Feel free to post more pictures when you can. Always love em!

I am glad Tucker is doing well. His plans for world domination via his secret spy implant failed but at least he has nom nom egg as a consolation, right? :D

#7 ·
I almost forgot! I read your very funny description of Zmei attempting to tackle the lollypop at the library to my husband and we both laughed so hard. How cute! I can just imagine what that looked like. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.