Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Salamander Burgermuffin
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is algae good for your tank? or not really? cuz i read on another forum that algae eats nitrates, so would it be beneficial to leave some growing on the back wall? or should it be cleaned off?

·
Registered
173 Posts
we have some plecos that eat all the algae and clean everything so i'm not sure i've never had to clean it...

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Well, it's not bad for your fish :). Small amounts can indeed consume nitrates and provide a good snack for certain fish and inverts. I personally leave some in...usually on the rocks or driftwood. You never want to completely clean everything.

However, algae in excess can be a sign of a problem. Sometimes tanks with a lot of algae are getting too much light, too much fertilizer, are over-stocked, or don't get enough water changes. That's not always true but if you notice a lot of algae growing it's always a good idea to see if any of those issues are causing it :).

·
Salamander Burgermuffin
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i tested all my water again today, to make sure everything was still good.. ammonia nitrites and nitrates were all at zero, i'd assume thats from the spots of algae begining to grow on the back wall of the tank..?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts