Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently the mommy to three hamsters who I am building a custom cage for 525 sq inches per hamster ( a 20 long and 10 gallon combined floor space wise )

and a betta and two kissing gourami's but I find myself wanting mice SO badly. I love the social interactions and my hamsters and fish are given THE best diet. I dont bring home pets very often. I brought Home Sadi in october her litter was born in january and Kodi was a CL rescue I got 2 weeks ago. I plan to wait until I get a permenant job and preferably an apartment but I want get past this longing. I have always had a soft spot for them they were my first rodent.

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
NO you are most certainly not a bad pet mama!! If mice are in your future, which it sound like they are, maybe spend some time scoping out a breeder or rescue in the meantime. Your hammies will love the new set up I'm sure! And since fish don't require much care out of the way of feeding and cycling etc, then you shouldn't feel bad if you want a pair of mice! When I had a hamster I acquired Akina while also having Acacia. Then we took Mama cat off the streets where I raised her and her kittens in my bedroom (bc the other house cats interfered with her) and then I moved back home and added Coco back to the mix!! So as long as each animal is looked after and all their needs met I think you should be okay!

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have looked into it and their are no breeders or rescues basically I am keeping an eye on Craigslist just in case i see a group in need.

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I got called a hoarder on another site ... I accidently put my Sofi in the wrong cage and got a litter of 15 which were all adopted to great homes but since they act like i should not own pets and I only want to do the best for them.

I hope I get a job soon. I want an apartment for me and my ham babes

I learned a lot from that litter and I have never had another cage mix up and am now great at sexing hamsters , and mice and rats.

· Registered
5,304 Posts
You aren't a hoarder unless you are unable to care for the amount of animals you have and still choose to keep them and add to your number of animals even though you can't or don't feed them or provide their care.

It sounds like mice are in your future, they are sweet pets.

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I admit sometimes I am short on money and may run out of bedding but thats only happened once and I havent added anyone new ( except Kodi and he was a craigslist free ad and I had a free cage on hand that was appropriate and wheel and everything) and they get the best diet mix One may be diabetic and he gets his strips and appropriate diet and everything. I am also reluctant to add anyone to the family no matter how much i want it the current pets I have must come first. I spent $50 just so I could order them the best wheels possible.

And I have had mice before I love them SO much :D

· canis lupus familiaris
551 Posts
Some moms just want a lot of kids. I have two dogs (almost got a third), and have a down payment on an african cichlid aquarium (with 10 fish) AND would like a koi pond. My doggies are fed what I believe is the best and have the best medical care. On top of that, I often rescue kittens.

If you have the love, time, and at least some of the funds, go ahead.

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol I am one of 5 kids with a broke mom ... hopefully I am not like her lol. I love dogs and have been waiting a year for one but I refuse to have a dog in an apartment just my own beliefs. I hope to get a normal job before I get anything else since I want an apartment. I'm not rich but my pets have never gone without.

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
LOL, I always want another pet. :rolleyes: If it were up to me, I would have a blue tounge skink for sure and probably a russian tortoise right now too. But for now I'm just hoping for a crestie for my birthday (Probably not happening, but it's worth a shot!). If I can't get a crestie, I want to foster.
I actually like having less animals though. I can spend for time with them, and spent more money on getting them great diets, bigger cages, ect too! Haha.

I don't think you're a hoarder at all though. I had some accidental litters when I had multiple hammies too, but the babies didn't survive. One of my hamsters actually escaped his own cage, and then we found him in our female's cage the next morning! I accidentally put a hamster in the gerbils cage once too. I was a stupid little kid, LOL.

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
Jeez, accidents happen. And you figured it out. Hoarders would keep all 15 babies, then probably mis-sex them and keep keeping all the babies bc they believe only "they" can provide the care for them. This leads to illness, neglect, and genetic disease etc. . .Noone here thinks you're a hoarder. Whichever forum that is has extremist (probably peta) members with a very deluded idea of what a hoarder is.

I think my roommate is getting a kitten for the mice control here. And if I could afford it I'd have another bunny to keep Acacia company. I think its very responsible that you're not considering a dog bc of your living situation.

I got my first pet when I was young, like under 10 I got mice, I had a hamster when I was about 7 or 8. It was always them first. With my allowance (when I got it, both my parents were poor) I got mice food and toys and always had things around for homemade toys. Of course, my little mice ate bits of my food!! lol I miss that with my bunny bc her diet is so strict that she can't have some pizza crust or a chip :p

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All of the babies were properly sexed and seperated and bonded and the homes were screened and I still get updates. I'm not getting mice as much as I want thembecause I first want to upgrade my hamsters and I need to get a health problem checked that I have been postponing. I am planning a pet room when I eventually get a house. And a horse and dog lol

Thanks guys :) and I have all the things for an ADF trio so I may have intro's and a cage and tank to show you soon. I just have other priorities before new additions once I get the supplies I'll show you the DIY ham cage

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
I can't wait to see the hammy cage, that will be interesting!

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unfortunately I can't build it like I want to I don't have the money. But I'm hoping it comes out nice enough. Either way it will be more space for them and take less space for me lol ... Now if only I could stop looking at my spare cage and tank lol. But I know no more rodents or anything else non aquatic until I straighten things out. Have you ever seen a chocolate mouse ? Most tempting face ever

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
I seen a chocolate mouse,because one of the very first mice I ever had was a chocolate named Shadow.
:)

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well I think instead of the mouse cage being a mouse cage Kodi will get moved into it and each of my girls can have 2 cages

· Registered
35 Posts
It sounds like you're a good pet mommy! I worry at times about being called a hoarder but I'm doing my best to keep them all happy and healthy. (I feel like I need to give them more attention a lot but that's because I feel guilty every moment I'm away at work). I think it'd be fine to have mice especially since you like them so much and you take great care of your pets :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.