Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, i was just sitting in my room when all of the sudden i heard squeaking coming from my dwarf hamster minnie's cage. (ive had hamsters that had babies before) it sounded exactly like the sound a baby hamster makes... i have another hamster, hes a regular hamster and his name is pickles. they have never had a chance to mate, and wouldnt even be able to. ive had minnie for more than a month, and i dont know if im over reacting or not. I cant think of a way that she could have been pregnant, but i keep hearing the squeaking noise! i havnt heard this before in the time that ive had her. also, i did notice though that her teets or what ever are more visible. any idea on if its babies or not? im afraid to look incase they really are there and i accidently touch one... any opinions?

·
she-mayor of Whoville
289 Posts
So literally she hasn't been exposed to a male dwarf for over a month?

And yeah, I dont think a dwarf and a syrian can mate.

Try your best to peek inside there. See if she's built a huge nest... try to get her to show herself by offering treats at the opposite end of the cage (as many as possible to stall her for time). If she comes out, QUICKLY lift up her hiding place and check. Try to touch as little bedding as you can.

If there are no babies and no blood, then there are a number of other reasons why she might be vocal, but before we go into that, make certain there are no babies.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, her nesting spot is actually made out of bedding.. its pretty big. and yes, she hasnt been exposed to another dwarf hamster at all actually, in the past month.. what do i do since the nest is made out of bedding?

·
she-mayor of Whoville
289 Posts
Hm. If her food dish is far enough away from her nest, take the dish out, rattle it around, put smelly/tastey treats in it, and sort of mess with it when you put it back. Do what you can to get her to come out of her nest and walk away from it. Then, if you have a small stick or something, gently move around the bedding.

If there are live babies in there, you should notice squirming and squeaking, they tend to squeak when mommy leaves because it suddenly becomes less warm. Poke around ever so lightly while she is distracted.

For your best shot, remove the food dish for a while, then after a couple hours (3 max) when she gets hungry, she'll be more likely to come over to the food dish with all the new food/treats when you offer it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I'll try that! I'll tell you what i find out. Thanks a bunch!!

·
she-mayor of Whoville
289 Posts
What did you find out?!

·
she-mayor of Whoville
289 Posts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts