Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to share my story in the hope it might help some else.

My family got rabbits when I was six years old and they were totally my responcibility. I didn't know how to take care of them and they died within six months. My dad said it was my fault. I guess that was supposed to teach me something, but I don't know what.

My dad's dog was in a kennel and it was my brother's responcibility to take care of the dog. My brother wasn't very responcible and the dog suffered from neglect. When the dog got old, he moved into the house. That is when neglect turned into physical abuse at the hands of my dad. The dog go sick from what I now believe was distemper, and dad called animal control and surrendered his dog. I was eight years old at the time and the dog was 13, the same age as my brother.

When I was 11, I went out to take care of my 5 year old duck and found her almost frozen to death. I brought her in the house and nursed her back to health. My parents knew that if my duck was put out in the cold again, that she would die, but they didn't want my duck aroung anymore so outside she went. My Daisy died in my arms the next day.

Do people really believe that putting animals outside causes people to neglect them? I don't think forgetting about animals is a reason for neglect, it is just a poor excuse. If organizations are really sincere about wanting to cut down on animal cruelty, I wish they would learn more about the psychology of abuse and do a lot less jumping to conclusions.

Comments?

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
I have two outside dogs and they both are taken care of. My parents put sleeping bags and blankets over their dog house and let them in at night. Just because they are outside doesn't mean people neglect them. Yes I know that people can neglect their animals whether inside or out. It just depends on the person.

·
Registered
358 Posts
christine said:
Just because they are outside doesn't mean people neglect them. Yes I know that people can neglect their animals whether inside or out. It just depends on the person.
i agree!:approve: :yes: :thumbsup:

i put my dogs outside quite alot sometimes, more in the spring though.i put them out when they need to go out or when they are just being real pests. sometimes i forget about them for a long long time but when i look for them they are usually just running around acting goofy.i would not really call that neglecting them.

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
Yes, it's the OWNER that abuses or neglects, not the weather, not the outside, not the chain he's tied to, not the lack of attention. The OWNER assumes FULL responsibility when taking a pet. They are a CHILD, a dependant! they depend on you for everything they require to survive! dog's dont go read a book when bored. no other imaginary friends to make them feel better. they just watch you, and how you never go near them, or always walk past them, they KNOW. People who neglect animals feel satisfied knowing their life is more important than something else's. It just totally break my heart. Like. If you wouldn't do it to a child, don't do it at all.

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
Mud said:
i agree!:approve: :yes: :thumbsup:

i put my dogs outside quite alot sometimes, more in the spring though.i put them out when they need to go out or when they are just being real pests. sometimes i forget about them for a long long time but when i look for them they are usually just running around acting goofy.i would not really call that neglecting them.

I'm on your side, who doesnt send their kids out to play?

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Just because your animal is outside,does not always mean abuse or neglect.It really depends on the owner,among other factors.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HOUSE RABBIT PEOPLE PLEASE!!! Learn how to talk to outdoor pet owners without being hostile! Saying things like, "It is alright with me if people keep their rabbits outside as long as they don't ... like those cases of abuse we see at the shelters every day!" Such statments imply that we are concidered guilty of abuse until we can prove our innocence. How do you think you would react if someone said to you, "It is fine with me if people keep their rabbits in their homes as long as they don't stuff them in little cages and stick them in the basement where they never get to see the light of day like other house rabbit abusers I know of?"

PLEASE NOTE: Outdoor abused pets are more likely to be discovered because they are more visible than indoor pets. There are NO statistics on how many outdoor pets are abused as compaired to indoor pets because doing so would require searching the inside of homes! Once an abused outdoor pet has been turned into an indoor pet, it is more difficult to check on the condition of that animal. If someone neglects an outdoor pet, I suspect it could easily be left in a cage without ever getting free range time, or fed properly should that animal become an indoor pet. A better approach might be to educate the owner (in an unhostle way) on how to make life better for their pet outdoors, and if you see no improvement, then you can pursue a cruelty case!

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
All I'm saying is that just because an animal is outdoors doesn't mean its abused. I'm sorry if you think I was yelling at you. That wasn't my intent but you did ask our opinions and we gave them too you. Just because you don't like our responses doesn't mean you should yell or talk down to us. That is what it felt like reading your post, like you were upset becasue we gave you our opinion.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry Christine,
My statement wasn't aimed at you, it was just a posting pleading with house rabbit people to treat people with outdoor pets with respect. So sorry for the misunderstanding. I have both outdoor and indoor pets and I DO apprieciate your comments.

·
Obsessed With Turtles
3,463 Posts
moonchild said:
HOUSE RABBIT PEOPLE PLEASE!!! Learn how to talk to outdoor pet owners without being hostile!
I have not seen any hostility whatsoever in this thread thus far - so I don't understand the above statement? Nobody attacked nor discriminated against anyone for having outdoor pets & nobody even claimed to be better than the other - so unless I missed something - I don't feel that needed to be said ???

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
fstybrat said:
I have not seen any hostility whatsoever in this thread thus far - so I don't understand the above statement? Nobody attacked nor discriminated against anyone for having outdoor pets & nobody even claimed to be better than the other - so unless I missed something - I don't feel that needed to be said ???
I agree. And it makes it sound kind of like you are discriminating against people who house rabbits indoors :(.

Anyways, as long as the rabbits are well cared for, not left outside in hot temperatures, and given lots of attention then it doesn't matter where they live :). Granted, I wouldn't keep my bunnies outside (partially because of where I live) but I don't care if other people do.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is not in this thread, but it is something I come across regularly. A couple of years ago when I tried to adopt unsocial rabbits that were in the Humane Society for over 6 months I was told that I was not allowed to adopt them because the shelter agreed with the HRS that outdoor rabbits are mistreated. Unless I am missing something, outdoor rabbit owners are treated differently and discriminated against in the world of animal welfare organizations. I believe that house pet abuse is almost never talked about and I would like abuse to be recognized not just in outdoor animals, but in all animals reguardless of where they are kept.

·
Obsessed With Turtles
3,463 Posts
ok then ... it's just the way I took it as though you were being defensive as though someone attacked you & I just wasn't seeing any reason for that comment ;)

I think it is all a matter of how any animal (any kind of animal for that matter) is cared for not so much WHERE they are cared for. It is always whether or not the best interest of the animal in the given situation is taken into consideration :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks fstybrat. I guess I should not have used those CAPITAL LETTERS! I just get frustrated, when I was willing to adopt rabbits that normally would have been euthanized. Not all rabbits make good house pets, it depends on their background. If I could be granted one wish, I wish rescue organizations would recognize the value of diversity among pet care providers. Now I am seeing more and more house rabbit organizations keeping rabbits outside because the number sof unwanted rabbits are increasing, yet most exclude outdoor rabbit owners from their organizations. If house rabbit people are truly accepting of outdoor rabbit people, I hope they push for reforms within their organizations.

I am no longer looking to adopt any more pets because I have a total of 8 pets now, and I take all of them for vet check ups and the bills are mounting.

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
It's okay, no hard feelings it just seemed like you were upset with one of us because we had our animals outside. I understand your frustration so don't worry I'm not upset

·
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes
2,934 Posts
I keep my buns inside because that is my preference. The vet I use for my puppies and kitties (he doesn't see rabbits) has 2 rabbits of his own. They are both kept outside. He told me that where he comes from rabbits are an outside pet. I don't think any less of him. The bunnies have a nice large cage. They feed them and care for them daily.
Our old neighbor has a dog that prefers to be outside. She LOVES to lay outside. She enjoys the fresh air. She is not being neglected when they leave her outside for hours. It is her choice not theirs. Now my two dogs hate being outside without me. They won't stay out there for very long without me. According to them leaving them outside is neglect. So is being late with greenies, not petting them every second of every day......You get the picture.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree with you Kathy dip. If I didn't have other house pets, I would probably have a couple of house rabbits plus my outdoor rabbits. I think what some people seem to forget is that animals are not people, even though many of us like to think of them as children. Many animals have the ability to adapt to weather changes, which makes me believe that it is not wrong to keep them outside as long as we treat them with respect and take care of their needs. We have 2 dogs. One stays inside most of the time and one outside by their own choice. Some rabbits that started out life outside find the inside of homes noisy and are happier outside. I know my rabbits are happier outside because I bring them inside when it is hot outside and I can tell by thier reaction that they are not happy in the house. I am thankful I can accommodate them. I feel bad for one of my cats because she is a rescued stray and she wants to go outside all the time. I want her inside because I am afraid she will get hit by a car and I can't keep her in the yard.

I think and important part of being a responcible pet owner is meeting the needs of your animals. I love dachshunds but I never had one. It looks like you have your hands full with those high maintenence critters!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
As far as I am concerned, I assume anyone who is in this forum came here for information on how to better care for their own "children" and do not abuse or neglect their animals. I really wish you would proof your posts. If those comments are not directed to the members of this forum, than they are directed towards guests who cannot even reply to them - and worse, may even see this site as harsh rather than helpful. If you wish to create a debate on a matter there is a section in the General Discussion Forum. Please try to keep hostilities toward readers out of the animal forums; these places are to ask for help or to share joys, not to point blaming fingers. Thanks. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts