Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was a small child, we used to go to a petting zoo in Oregon that had quite a few animals. I was lucky enough to be able to pet a giraffe that licked me. I fed a red fox a tomato, and he nibbled on my hand. It wasn't any different than being lightly bitten by a dog. I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to visit this petting zoo a number of times. On a sad note, I heard that the giraffe had injested a piece of plastic bag that someone had carelessly left on the ground. It was operated on but couldn't be saved. After this incident, the little zoo was run more like a farm and had much tougher rules. It ceased to be a petting zoo. Has anyone else had a similar opportunity to pet animals that are usually wild? I wouldn't trade my experience for anything.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
when i was 15 or 16 or so , i went to this petting zoo in montreal where they had all these wild animals zebras lions monkeys ect.and i remember them saying dont feed the zebras as they may bite. I loved my experience and being a rebelious teen i fed one anyways they were exactly like horses until one tried to steal the back out of the car. hehe but i wouldnt change my experience for anything in the world. needless to say he didnt get away with my backpack, but i thought he was being a little to friendly for just wanting to be pet. i added pics of the zebra in his attempt to steal. The lions of course where in cages monkeys as well but there was one area you could drive around in your car and touch animals like the zebras buffalo ect.it was an amazing experience.also added some of the other animal pictures from that trip:)

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've been to 2 that I can remember. The first one, a camel threw up on our windshield! lol The next time, a zebra stuck its head in my window where I apparently wasn't feeding him fast enough, and he bit my arm! Just a little pinch, and wouldn't let go! My husband still teases me about it.

·
Super Moderator
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pictures of me with the petting zoo animals are in my profile. I don't know how to post them to the forum. If a moderator would give me instructions on how to post my pictures to the forum, I would greatly appreciate it. The animal that I thought was a red fox isn't one. I'm not sure just what it is. I would appreciate it if people would help me identify it. I think that they are really good pictures of the giraffe.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Im doing a course at uni to do with zoo animals, so i have to go to quite a few places for placements, i've seen many animals, but nothing beats getting up close to something, the best for me has been hand feeding a lemur :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts