Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think that it's a good idea for people to bring their dogs into pet stores? I was in Petco today, and two dogs barked at each other. Had they been closer to one another, they would have gotten into a fight. If I had a dog, I wouldn't take it into pet stores because of the liability involved if my dog bit someone or attacked another animal.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
here where allowed to bring them into petsmart i think its all about how the owner reacts to the situation weather it be a postive encounter or not.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I think, the same with bringing your pet anywhere else, that you have to know and trust how your dog is going to behave around strange people/dogs before you take it out into a public area where you know it's going to encounter lots of strangers. But if your dog is well behaved and friendly I don't see a problem taking them to pet stores or anywhere else where they are allowed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That's like asking if you think it's a good idea for people to bring the dogs to the vet, or to the park, or take them on a walk. Dogs are going to encounter other dogs any place they go, not just at the pet store. The key is teaching your dog how to behave and having control of your dog at all times.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
At the pet store owners should avoid direct contact between dogs because you don't know 100% how your dog or the other will react they shouldn't just drag them over to greet. Many people use petstores to socialize their dog, myself included i took him to puppy class over winter because he wouldn't get to go to the dog park so it let him have an hour or so of socialization a week

My dog barks at other dogs and people at the petstore. Its embarrassing but he is so excited he can't help it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I take my dog into pet stores that permit it. If people cant control their dog then no they shouldnt be in there or anywhere in public for that matter

·
Registered
802 Posts
It's not on the place, its on dogs and the owner to keep the behavior safe and appropriate for the place.

·
Super Moderator
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Petco that I usually go to is a small store. There are days that it is swamped with kids and dogs. What concerns me is the kids running around and scaring the dogs.

The PetSmart in my area is a much bigger store than any of the Petcos that I've been to, and I feel comfortable with having both kids and dogs in the same place.

What types of animals should or shouldn't be allowed in pet stores like Petco and PetSmart? Should cats, large lizards or snakes be allowed in pet stores with dogs?

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I don't think cats, snakes, or lizards should go to the petstores for a few reasons. Cats and lizards (iguanas mostly) get scared of new places, and dogs. I don't think its fair to them for their owners to drag them along, unless the cat is ok with it.

Snakes and lizards need higher temps and taking them in the car and airconditioned stores can mess up their systems as well. Most snakes are nocturnal so waking them to take them is also known to mess up their systems.

Also reptiles can catch things so easily from other places and they will be touched by lots of people at the store.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
I take my dogs in when they need something specific. Loki, for example, gets sweaters because we have no heater and he shivers to the point of crying.

I know what you mean...I have seen dogs just lunge at each other in Petsmarts and Petcos. I have also seen people show off...like making their dog stay in one spot while they shop around....

I think people should put thought into bringing their animal ANYWHERE. I shop at a small store usually and there is usually a cat wandering around. This cat belongs to the shop. There is also a GSD that does the same.

·
Registered
19 Posts
obedient Dogs

That is true it could end up bad taking your pet into any store, especially if the pet is not an obedient one and not properly trained.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Not to mention some people are afraid of dogs. I have yet to see a dog only store....A lot of cat people shop in these places as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts