Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
I talked to the breeder and she suggested benebac, but the vet said live culture, plain yogurt. This is really frustrating because I don't want to harm him when I'm trying to get him better. :pullhair:

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I ditto the Benebac or just straight acidophilus. :yes: Sometimes you can find refrigerated live culture acidophilus at health stores and such.

Just beware, he may not care for the cipro. It and Baytril are very bitter.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Very true, Jade. I often "cut" Baytril or Cipro with snow cone flavoring or fruit juice or carrot juice to help it go down. It's very sweet and sugary, and not ideal for long term use, but it certainly helps get all the medicine in!

·
Registered
642 Posts
He hates the cipro! It won't hurt him right? It's harsh, but that won't ruin his system as long as he gets the good flora? So I should not get the yogurt and just get benebac? What is the difference between the two? The lactose?

Thank you guys so much, I greatly appreciate your help :)

·
Registered
642 Posts
I called the vet and asked if I could use benebac instead of yogurt and she said that she has seen a great outcome with yogurt and that it doesn't have lactose. I thought all diary products had lactose? Anyway, I got plain, cultured yogurt that has active cultures, including L. Acidophilus. I hope this works. Please let me know your thoughts/ideas.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The yogurt shouldn't be a problem. I've used it in a pinch. And no, the cipro is a 'safe' antibiotic, just make sure he is eating and his stools stay solid.

·
Registered
642 Posts
He has to have .26 cc of the cipro and 1/4 of a teaspoon of yogurt. Does that sound ok. It looks like a lot of cipro. Sorry for asking so many dumb questions. I'm just extremely nervous.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Take the .26 CC out of the syringe and put it into a teaspoon. As long as you're dosing it correctly in the syringe (and not mistakenly using 2.6), you'll see it isn't a whole lot at all. We're not able to give dosages on the forum, but you can call your vet and ask them to double check the amount if you're uncomfortable with it.

Adding a little bit of flavored yogurt to the plain might make him more apt to take that, too. One of them sell an 'all natural' flavored variety with no corn syrups, etc. in it. I'd pick up a 4 pack of those and use it to flavor the plain yogurt. :) I think it's in a peachy colored label, if I remember right.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You may first want to see how the chin does on Cipro first, he may not need yogurt/ bene-bac at all, myself I don't like to introduce new things into a chin's diet when he's undergoing treatment, it can potentially make things worse. People advise yogurt/ bene-bac with some medications because they can destroy some of the good gut bacteria, causing gut upset as evidenced by a change in stool or a loss of appetite. But if the chin doesn't get those problems from the medication then I'd say "don't fix it if it ain't broke," because treating a non-existent problem can lead to more problems.

We've used Baytril (haven't used Cipro) on and off for many years at our rescue without offering anything else (yogurt/ bene-bac), and while the chin may have a reduced appetite for awhile, they come out of it just fine. You'll find the advice on this varies, many people do start offering yogurt/ bene-bac right away, and if adding that change of diet at a time when the chin's already under the weather and on new medication doesn't cause more problems, then you're ok.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
I'd also be hesitant to give yogurt to chins since they're vegetarians -- the lactose may upset their stomach even more! You can buy acidophilus capsules at most drug stores that will do the same thing. :)

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
Yogurt is not a problem :)
It's best to use products like zoolac or things made specifically for rodents, but if there's nothing else on hand, and it's real bad, yogurt can be used :)

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
I'd just rather not chance it when you're already having stomach problems. It's a sugar and not well digested by rodents in general. They're vegetarian animals and not designed to digest animal proteins like lactose. It's like giving them a big glass of milk. :)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts