Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a male convict who is currently about 2 inches in length. He is currently growing out in a ten gallon until I get a 55, but was wondering...

I've received suggestions on tankmates for him ranging from sajica (t bar), firemouth, jack dempsey (pretty sure the JD would be too large for a 55?), salvini, green terror (also think may be too large), pictus/raphael cat ( if I added any of these, I'd wait til I had a larger tank), and rainbow cichlid (which my LFS doesn't carry to my knowledge). If anything is purchased, it will be around the same size of the cichlid, slightly smaller/larger depending on aggression and such. I really like the firemouth, but I keep hearing these horror stories about convicts whooping them pretty good, and I'm really leaning toward the salvini now, though I may have to get one by order. I've heard next to nothing about sajica. Help?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have Angels, Maingano and Oscars

I'm looking at some convicts to go in with the oscars

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I've seen a 60 gallon tank that I like, and I'll probably go with my convict, a firemouth, a severum, and perhaps a raphael cat, pictus cats, or some type of shark.

·
Registered
501 Posts
My Maingano are in a 55gal
Oscars & Clown loaches in a 90gal
Angels in a 50gal

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I love cichlids!
I don't have any now,but used to have convicts and an oscar. I really want to get into them again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've decided to wait until I have my 55 gallon (or 60) before adding any new occupants. I'm planning on a firemouth for sure, and either a severum or a blood parrot. I think the blue acara are beautiful, but one of my family members likes the blood parrots, so it may end up being one of those despite the controversy around them. As for bottom feeders, I'm considering pakistani (yoyo) loaches. Tank won't be able to accomodate an oscar, though they look to be really cool fish.

·
Resident Zoologist
262 Posts
Tank won't be able to accomodate an oscar, though they look to be really cool fish.

Impressive and personable, but they really should have 100+ gallons to themselves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts