Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

We've had our cute little Dutch Fiver for over 2 1/2 years now and have had our big New Zealand girl Spring since March. You'd think by now we'd have come up with a solution to keep our home looking like it's completely overrun by rabbits, but we haven't. Well, really our home is overrun by rabbits, but I'd like it not to look that way!

We have both buns in separate 4'x4' pens (their bonding is taking a very, very, very, long time) in our living room and our house is on the smaller side. I have bins in the living room with pellets, litter, and hay. I'm thinking that I might get a lift top coffee table at some point or some storage ottomans to stow away the bins. Anyone find any good solutions to hiding rabbit supplies but still having it close by?

We also end up with our carpet covered in hay. I think that maybe I need a bigger hay bin. I have a big 25 or 50 lb box of hay in the basement and a bring a day or two's worth of hay upstairs in the bin, but I just end up with hay bits everywhere. Any good solutions for keeping hay less messy?

Really, any cleaning or storage/organization tips that you've come up with for your rabbits would be much appreciated! I feel like all I do is clean, but my house still looks like a barn!

Thanks!

Clare, Geoff, Fiver, & Spring

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Welcome!

I wish I could offer you more help - but my bunnies make quite a mess too!

Some kind of storage might help to organize things a bit more. I have a small set of drawers next to my rabbit cages where I keep things like pellets, litter, extra toys, grooming supplies, etc. Then I do kind of the same thing as you with the hay - I have a big bin that I fill from the even bigger box of hay, then I just keep the bin stored on top of the drawers. The bin I use can hold a few weeks worth of hay for my 3 rabbits usually, especially if it's compressed hay. So all my bunny stuff is in the same place.

The hay on the floor is something I've fought with pretty much since I've had rabbits. I've never come up with any better solution other than to just clean it up every day. No matter how big of a litter box or hay hopper I use to hold the hay in their cage, some of it always ends up on the floor. Just putting hay in their cage from the bin gets hay on the floor. I honestly just clean the room my bunnies live in every day. It stays clean for a few hours, sometimes. :rolleyes:

Sorry I can't be more helpful! If you come up with any ideas, be sure to let me know!

I love your bunnies names by the way!

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
I keep all of the messy bedding and hay in my garage- I have pellet litter and aspen in this big storage bins, and hay in a huge box... I change his litter box in the garage too, so I dont track hay all over when I put more in it.
Smudge really isnt very messy at all. I guess Im just lucky, LOL!

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Hmm... You have a deck/balcony type thing, dont you? Maybe you could store stuff out there, in air tight containers or put tarps over it. Just an idea!

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Nope! No deck, balcony, yard...nothing like that. I wish! When we move someday it will hopefully be to a place we buy instead of rent, and then we're going to look for a place with a nice big yard! But until then, we just have a city apartment with no yard access.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know if this helps but I have a large pantry in my kitchen. You know those college style, do it yourself closets with shelves? Since I have a cat, dog, and rabbit, I keep all their supplies in there and take the dishes to the pantry to refill. Large, clear, plastic storage containers are used for the different foods and makes it easy not to mix them up. Outside my back door I have two 4'x4' flower beds that I dump the litter into-great compost. Unfortunately, I do sweep or vaccuum my living room floor about 6-8 times a day. Since the cat and rabbit are pretty much fighting for the litter box on the first floor I have to be vigilant about the floor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts