Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
yeah i don't mind having a therapist. i've gotten good a logging things away then pulling it all out when iget there. my man helps me by writing on paper what i'm venting about. when i get upset like i do, i blank, everything, i've been in mid sentence and had my mind just disappear. then i bring my book to my shrink and it helps me remember what to talk about. it also helps me remember what bothered me, and gets me feeling the way i did so they can see it. i do look forward to going, i feel a little like i'm 5 running to my mom or something, but whatever works you know? sometimes i just don't know what to do with myself so i find something that needs fixing. swinging a hammer feels sooooooo good when you're pent up (i.e. my degu cage lol). i usually don't know what sets me off, but that doens't mean it's not obvious, it's just not to me. i'm sure i might have negative thinking processes, b ut my mind flies so fast, i think in colours and emotions, not words pictures or people. I'm not a patient person either. when i buy gifts i give them right away. so i have to shop on christmas eve lol. so back to therapy, its' not bad. it's like making friends, you might go through a dozen people before you find one whom you feel really understands. some might help you in some ways, and others in other ways. best advice i can give is be honest with everyone AND YOURSELF. you have to accept that you're feeling the way you are, then accept that you need someones help, just like if it were diabetes or high blood pressure. a doctor's a doctor's a doctor. if i've learned anything in my journey so far, it's that denial isn't just a river in egypt.

·
Registered
968 Posts
ratty_ratkins said:
ive been through self mutalation
As have I.

I have recently been put on paxil and seem to be doing much better, now that I've adjusted to the meds- the first few weeks are horrible. I recently switched anti-convulsants, and am on one that doesn't have as many side effects of the old meds. Could be that I don't notice feeling "out of it" and "detatched from the world" on the Paxil because the medication I just got off of was so horrible. The new anticonvulsant and the paxil combined have less side effects (for me) than Tegretol did.

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
right now, my effexor makes me sweat like a liar on the stand. lol

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
I take pills for my anxiety, Effexor to be exact. It helps a lot. I don't have panic attacks like I used to

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
effexor, at least for me, helps my depression, but becasue of the adrenalin additive in it, my anxietey is more prevalent now. i'm working with my lady and she's very understandign and patient with me, which is nice, it makes me feel safe and secure enough to curl up in a ball and cry right in front of her. she'll ask what's wrong, i'll say it just feels right. i'm not sad, i feel afraid. i never know what of. oh well. man it's sure nice to talk aout it with others going through it!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sorry to bring this up again. I have dealt with anxiety for years. Sometimes a good run helps a lot. Sometimes laying on your back with a book on your chest (a heavy book like a dictionary or encyclopedia) and concentrating on your breathing helps a great deal. I used to take klonopin but being that I am 27 weeks pregnant I can't take them anymore. My anxiety has been ok overall through the pregnancy but the past day or so it has been rearing it's ugly head. I was also diagnosed with MDD (Major depression disorder).. I had previously been diagnosed with bipolar but my new dr doesn't believe in that diagnosis. Worst case if you really need a med and can't afford an antidepressant that will help the anxiety or the antianxiety meds make you feel groggy you can simply take a benedryl. Antihistamines are often prescribed for anxiety and they will help you to sleep too. Vistaril is a good antianxiety antihistamine.

There are some really good forums I have found for anyone that deals with depression, anxiety and other mental illnesses. If you are interested in the links pm me and I'll send them to you.

~Jenn

·
Registered
90 Posts
hi there
i suffer from a condition called ocd it can be very hard to deal with anxiety i have had therapy and am still on medication i had let it get so bad before i got help and now i just feel that if im on meds forever then so be it you have to live your life after all and enjoy it you only get one chance
i find that calming activities help like knitting cross stitch and reading i found terry pratchett to be a brilliant read when i was very ill with my condition last year
i have learnt you are never alone but you must ask for help to find it:D

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I suffer from severe anxiety disorder. I'm taking 30 mg of Remeron for it, and I'm having great success with it. I also did group therapy, focusing on cognitive thinking (positive thinking). I think the medicine you were on, just wasn't working for you. They put me on Paxil before Remeron and I almost killed myself. It definitely made it worse. Maybe see if you can get put on something different. Celexa (or Citalopram as the generic) is on the $4 list at most main pharmacies. I think the generic of Paxil is too, but I'm leary of recommending it because a lot of people in my group therapy had trouble with it too. If you're having trouble sleeping because you wake up with panic attacks like I did, Remeron is awesome, or at least it is with me.

If you can't afford to go to the doctor, there should be a clinic somewhere or something that can help you out. Contact the local salvation army or something. If you call them they can give you the Crisis Hotline number. They would have information on these free or cheap clinics.

Another thing I'd recommend is a book called "When Panic Attacks". I think it's written by David Cook, but don't hold me to that. It's really good on helping you get control over your anxiety, rather than letting it control you. Trust me, if you let it go like I did, it WILL eventually control you.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Finding a support group can be very helpful. Finding someone whom you can share your thoughts with, or your fears, or anything that makes you anxious can give you great results. Knowing that these people understand what you are going through and that they will not judge you can be comforting. Vent out your feelings to people you trust. Although you cannot achieve positive results in one sitting, this can be a very good therapy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh well, this is a very old talk but I hope this would help someone. My wife suffered extremely exhausting panic attacks getting to the worse of his anxiety before the pandemic started. When the pandemic hit, she was at her worse and now without a chance to see a doctor. So we tried several home based techniques to see if anything worked.
There was one that actually made a change in her: diaphragmatic breathing, I put a link there just in case anyone wants to see what it is.

Besides that, I would recommend you to get a rice filled bag made out of cotton fabric that you can put in the microwave to heat up, then put it on your chest, it's like an instant hug. It's warm and weighted, so it does make the effect of a weighted blanket, sort of.

I hope you are feeling better nowadays and your anxiety journey has become easier. Best wishes, - Sean

41 - 53 of 53 Posts