Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I didn't want to offend anyone in any other forums so I posted here. Sorry if its off :thumbsup:

Anyway...I have been looking to become more self sufficient. My biggest issue is meat. I mean I don't need a lot of it really...just enough for maybe once or twice a week...some good meat.

My main meats for year round eating would be chicken and rabbit. There is a fairly big market for rabbit out here (with very few sources) so I could probably trade some for some grass fed beef. I'd like a turkey just for Thanksgiving and a duck for Christmas. I haven't actually owned any but have been asking around at feed stores and reading, gaining mentors and such. My local feed stores also sell these animals which are brought up by some locals...some as close as down the street it turns out!

So if anyone knows any sites, books, or has any info for me, it would be awesome and greatly appreciated. :D

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I see no problem posting here. it will be hard work if you want to raise rabbits, chickens, ducks, and turkeys. However, you can go to the local butcher shop and see if you can buy local meats from there, or if you know someone that raises one of those animals you can start a trade system, if you were to raise rabbits, you could trade a rabbit for some ones chicken and so on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts