Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that a receptionist told my mom that Smudge cant eat or drink after 7:00 PM on the night before his surgery... WTF? Im really confused now. My vet is recomended by the HRS, specializes in exotics, fixes the rabbits at the shelter, and Ive talked to a ton of other people who have gotten rabbits fixed there, and they fix buns regularily. Shouldnt they know that rabbits are physically incapable of throwing up, and that having an empty tummy can be exrememly dangerous for rabbits??? Ugh.
Well, it was receptionist that told us that, so Im really hoping she made a mistake and was just telling us what she usually tells people who are fixing their dogs and cats, and was unaware that rabbits are different... Im calling and talking directly to my vet to clear this up tomarrow, and I really hope this is all just a miscommunication.
But if it isnt... Should I still go through with the surgery? Ive put so much work and planning into this, and I really dont want to back out last minute. I will update this tomarrow after I call the vet, but Im feeling really nervous now...

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
It's probably just a mistake on the receptionist's part, I've heard of that happening a lot. Like you said, she's probably used to cats and dogs.

·
can't think of one, help
1,115 Posts
I would speak directly to the vet. I don't recall fasting my little guy. And I've also heard that it is NOT a good thing in bunnies. If the vet gives you the same info, ask her why, because you had been told that it is very unhealthy for bunnies to fast. My guess is the receptionist was just giving the standard response for doggies and kitties

·
Salamander Burgermuffin
2,612 Posts
Yeah, talk to the vet for sure, Rabbits should Not be fasted for any reason. I wouldn't come out and ask the vet directly, like ask to talk the vet because your nervous about it or something, then ask the vet if there is anything you need to do before the surgery. But yeah, if he says you need to fast your bun i think i would reschedule your appointment and see if you can find another vet. Great catch btw, most people just do whatever the receptionist says and don't even think to question it. Your such a great bunny mom! Smudge is so lucky! Give him a head rub for me :)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Another great example of why researching your pets is a must!! It's a good thing you had done so, Jess!! You are an awesome pet mommy!!!

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I have also heard of receptionist's making that mistake. Call and talk directly to the vet. If they say not to fast, let him/her know in a nice way what happened, so they can talk to the receptionists and make sure that they don't give out the wrong advice again.

If the vet says to fast him, I think I would look for another vet.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Nope, don't fast! I pack my rabbits into a carrier full of hay for their stay at the clinic!

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much everyone!
Thank God, it was just a mistake on the receptionists part... Smudge can eat as much as he wants before surgery! I didnt get to speak directly to my vet, because he wasnt in today, but I was talking to a different receptionist and she said whoever I talked to was probaby giving out the cat/dog info, and that they dont fast bunnies. I will let the vet know about the mis-informed receptionist when I go in on Tuesday.
Yeah, it is definatly a good example of why its important ot do your own research! If I had listened, Smudge would have been at a lot higher risk.

·
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes
2,934 Posts
Definitely tell the vet. She needs to know that bunnies cannot be fasted. It's a good thing you know about bunnies and questioned it.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
It also depends on what she was given for info to call people on. If the list was name owner
Name pet
surgery nueture
and phone number than it wasn't her fault for assuming it was a cat either

1 - 11 of 11 Posts