Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I plan to bring home a trio of mice in about september and was wondering if some of my old hamster things would work.

This is the cage

Its 345 sq inches floor space ( just a little smaller than a 20 long) but i may put in a second level for them to play on

This house

and this wheel ( its 8 inches no places to pinch tails or anything but with it being closed I'm not sure)

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
The little green house is perfect. I had one like it for my mice.

I'd be hesitant to use the cage because it's got so many chewable edges. Mice are so small, it doesn't take much of a hole at all before they're gone, and then you may never catch them. I'd look around for a glass tank with a secure mesh lid.

Here's a mouse tank size calculator:

http://www.thefunmouse.com/info/cagecalculator.cfm

I love the wodent wheels. They're the best in the world. My only question is if that particular one is too big/heavy for the mice to operate. I don't know if it is or not, but it wouldn't hurt anything to let them try it out before you get a new one.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont trust that cage calculator it told me i could keep two in a crittertrail. ( only 160 sq inches floor space) and also the female that is currently in the cage has chewed out of two cages and is contained in this. Also they cant get to the edges because the way its bolted.

This is the smallest size wodent wheel they male ( 8 inches)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Those things are fine for mice...but a there are a few things.

First you really have to watch with bin cages...mice are escape artists and can find their way out of the smallest holes. I have kept mice in bins in the past with success...you just have to make sure they don't chew the plastic or find holes.

And that wheel is too big for mice. If they don't make them smaller...you can get a "flying saucer" and/or a "silent spinner" in mouse size.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will it hurt them to have too big of a wheel? I just figured they could share its super easy to turn. My dwarf hamster was using it. the mesh is 1/4 inch and I will be super careful :) I have a spare ten gal as a temp back up cage

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I don't think it would hurt them,I just wonder if they would be able to turn in it...like wouldn't it be too heavy? You could always try it and if they cannot seem to run in it,then look for something smaller.

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
I kept 3 mice in a 10 gal tank with no problems. I wouldn't put any more than that and it is the minimum size, but mine were happy with the tank. I had ladders and levels, and tunnels for climbing which expanded their usable space.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont want to keep them in that. Thats a sickly small amount of space.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I have my mice in 29 and 33 gallon tanks...they love the room.
I have had a pair of mice in a 10 gallon before too. A 10 gallon works well for a lone male.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I would offer as much space as possible. (I once moved a senior mouse to live free roam on a bookshelf, lucky he didn't leave!) for the most part I used all my old hamster toys for mice. they're quite acrobatic! I think my first wheel was a hamster once (one of those awful wire ones though) and the mice were able to spin it but their tails got stuck in the bars. It would have more to do with torque though than weight I would think..Give it a try and see how they like it.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the mice are on hold if I get this kitten. I cant justify getting a pet when another needs me more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts