Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!! :)

I was just doing some research on a few different kinds of treats and I was just wondering if you could help me out a little. I want to know if you think these treats are safe for your different pets and why. Please feel free to tell me any of your concerns or opinions. These treats look really yummy I hope you guys can help me out!! :)

The products mostly tell me which pets they're good for but I'd like to know if you guys would add or take away any pets to the list and why. It would be awesome if I could get some opinions on chinchillas or degus having these treats. Thanks!!

1. Tangerine treats with Vitamin C -- for Guinea Pigs and Rabbits
Ingredients: Dried Tangerine, Alfalfa, Corn Starch, Sodium Alginate, Water, Potassium Sorbate (preservative), Ascorbic Acid (source of vit. C)

2. Orange Slice treats with Vitamin C -- for Guinea Pigs and Rabbits
Ingredients: Carrot Meal, Dried Orange, Corn Starch, Sodium Alginate, Water, Potassium Sorbate (preservative), Ascorbic Acid (source of vit. C)

3. Seed Flower treats -- for Rabbits and Guinea Pigs
Ingredients: White Millet, Dried Sweet Potato, Raisins, Dried Cherries, Sodium Alginate, Potassium Sorbate (preservative), Sodium Diaceate (preservative), Artificial Color (FD & C Red #3, Yellow #5, Blue #2)

4. Wood Cup & Alfalfa -- for Rabbits and Guinea Pigs
Ingredients: Pine Wood, Alfalfa, Rice, Sodium Alginate, Potassium Sorbate (preservative), Sodium Diaceate (preservative), Artificial Color (FD & C Yellow #5, Blue #2, Yellow #6)

5. Veggie Puffs -- for Small Animals (the pic has Rabbit, Gerbil, Hamster, Guinea Pig)
Ingredients: Ground Corn, Ground Rice, Dehydrated Carrots, Dehydrated Cabbage, Dehydrated Spinach, Dehydrated Celery.

6. And last is a Bitter Apple chew deterrent spray -- for Small Animals
Ingredients: Water, Isopropanol 5%, Bitter Principles and Extractives

So what do you guys think? Would you use these products for your pets? Please give me your opinions!! Thank you so much!!

· Herp Nerd
1,116 Posts
I really don't have an answer for you as to their safety, or what other animals those particular products are good for, but personally, I stay away from "treats" like that, and prefer to feed fresh veggies and fruits. Seems to me, that no amount of "dried", "dehydrated", or "ground" packed with random preservative chemicals is ever going to equal the real thing.

As for the Bitter Apple stuff, Isopropanol can be toxic in high quantity, as any alcohol can be. Use sparingly, and only when absolutely necessary. I was given a bottle of the stuff with a ferret rescue I took in years ago, and about all I used for was to spray down the phone cable I had running across the room, to discourage anyone from chewing on it. :)

· Premium Member
4,281 Posts
I don't feed my rabbits any of the treats you listed on there, even the ones that say they're made for rabbits. My buns get fresh fruit, papia tablets, crasins, and once in awhile home made treats (yes I occasionally cook for my rabbits! :rolleyes:)

I've used one of those bitter sprays before on wires but I don't think it was that same brand. I don't use it anymore though because I bunny proofed the room better and don't have any wires where they can reach them.

· Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies so far :)

Ok, so since I didn't really get the responses I was hoping for :lol:, I'm going to add to my origional question...

Do you think that the ingredients included in these products are safe for the animals that they are intended for (by the manufacturer)?
And do you think (in your own opinion) that these ingredients are safe for other kinds of pets?

For example, the Tangerine and Orange treats, are the ingredients in these treats generally safe for chinchillas? What about gerbils, hamsters, and rats?

The Seed Flowers, these ingredients are not good for chinchillas, but are they safe for gerbils, hamsters, and rats?

The Wood Cup and Alfalfa, are these ingredients safe for your gerbils, hamsters, and rats?

Veggie Puffs, (not healthy ingredients for chinchillas or degus) but are these ingredients safe for rabbits, guinea pigs, gerbils, hamsters, and rats?

I am doing write-ups on these products and I want your opinion on the ingredients and if you think these treats are safe for any other pets that you may have. Each individual species of pet has different foods that are good/bad for them and most of us pet owners have come across these lists fruits and veggies while researching our little pets. I'm curious to see what ingredients are good or bad for the different types of little furry pets. Please help me out!! :confused:

· Registered
5,304 Posts
i'm sure most of them are "safe" for small animals to have as a treat but keep in mind they are intended to have 1 or 2 PER day or week or something and not a lot of it. then the sugars are high and some salts....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.