Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Are you a Vegetarian?

• Yes!

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Not yet, but I may give it a go!

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • No, even though I like animals..

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • No way! I love meat, and can't give it up..

Votes: 10 38.5%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you a Vegetarian? If you are for how long and why? If not could you be? What do you think about farming, and the treatment of animals?

·
Fertile Myrtle
3,063 Posts
No way! LOL I believe that God gave us animals for a reason, and the teeth to eat them with. ;) I DO however buy organic/natural meats as often as possible as I don't agree in the way most farms treat their animals. Not to mention all the antibiotics and hormones they inject into them.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I've been a vegetarian since I was 15. My husband has been a vegetarian for about 3 years now. I became veggie after educating myself about factory farming, and the incredibly cruel and brutal treatment of livestock animals. Cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, and many other animals are raised in horrible conditions and subjected to unbelievably cruel treatment. After reading literature and watching vidoes, I will never eat another animal. :no:

Being a vegetarian is also great for your health, and good for the planet as well. Livestock animals use up a lot of resources and pollute the environment.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re being a Veggie

Thanks Steph, I am glad that you responded..

Reactions: veggiegirl

·
Wacky Chimpnose
6,239 Posts
i voted that i'm not, but might try it. i tried to do it for like, 3 days once and it was sooo hard. not because i wanted meat, but because there are NO options. i couldn't go out to eat and i didn't have a clue as to what i could eat or buy. i loooove to go out to eat, and all the vegetarian stuff is gross. but because we are an artsy, liberal college town, we actually have a lot of veg. restaurants. so maybe one day!

·
Wacky Chimpnose
6,239 Posts
btw- i understand what christi is saying. however, in most cases the animals are not treated humanely at all. this is my main problem. not the fact that i eat them, but their living conditions before they are killed.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Good point Jane. It may seem hard at first, but I guarantee that it gets easier after awhile. Mike wasn't veggie when I met him, and he gradually switched over. Once you learn what your options are, you shouldn't have problems with finding food. There is always something for us anywhere we go, and I make some awesome stuff at home!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I've been a vegetarian for a long time, or atleast it seems. I've been for probably 8 years. It was when I was around 8 I became a vegetarian. The main reason was because animals. I do believe God is okay with us eating them but I don't think he cares if I don't. :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
I eat very little meat. Chicken (only made at home) pork chops, turkey, bacon and ham. And I eat these things very rarely. Honestly it just grosses me out. If I think about it to much I would never eat meat. But in beef I can't stand hard grainy particles it makes me sick to my stomach. So I eat a lot of starches which could be the reason I am over weight:( I also do NOT like milk! I eat eggs about once a week (maybe) but I loveeeeee cheese:)

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
I often crave meat...I was a vegetarian for a few years ago for 2 years and became boarderline anemic due to lack of iron..I tried iron supplements and they helped but an all-you-can-eat rib night at a steakhouse and I cracked...BIG time! I hate taking pills so I just eat the meat...besides when cooked the way Shane does it, it's so good!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hello!

I'm not a vegetarian. i think we are supposed to eat meat, we are4 made to do so. I posted a message in another forum about it a couple of days agao.. it was a bit long, so I wanted to copy/paste it, but the forum is not letting me do so (stupid forum!) I'll type it all again then in my next post. 8(

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Padfoot said:
Hello!

I'm not a vegetarian. i think we are supposed to eat meat, we are4 made to do so. I posted a message in another forum about it a couple of days agao.. it was a bit long, so I wanted to copy/paste it, but the forum is not letting me do so (stupid forum!) I'll type it all again then in my next post. 8(
Interesting. I've read many times that true carnivores such as wolves or big cats have a much shorter digestive tract than we do, so they can digest the meat more quickly. Herbivores have a long digestive tract (more like ours) made to digest plant matter.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Here are some interesting quotes:

"Some people are still going to want to eat meat.. we do agree though that vegetarianism is a healthier diet."
-David Stroud of the American Meat Institute

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
-Albert Einstein

"The beef industry has contributed to more American deaths than all the wars of this century, all natural disasters, and all automobile accidents combined. If beef is your idea of 'real food for real people,' you'd better live real close to a real good hospital."
-Neal D. Barnard, M.D

If any kid ever realized what was involved in factory farming they would never touch meat again.I was so moved by the intelligence,sense of fun and personalities of the animals I worked with on Babe that by the end of the film I was a vegetarian.
-James Cromwell

"I don't understand why asking people to eat a well-balanced vegetarian diet is considered drastic, while it is medically conservative to cut people open and put them on cholesterol-lowering drugs for the rest of their lives."
-Dean Ornish, MD

When we kill animals to eat them they end up killing us because their flesh...was never intended for human beings, who are naturally herbivores."
-William C. Roberts, M.D

"Excessive animal protein is at the core of many chronic diseases."
-Dr.Campbell

"There is strong medical evidence that complete freedom from eating animal flesh or cow's milk products is a gateway to optimal nutritional health."
-Dr.Klaper

"I'm ashamed to even let people know I am a Usda inspector. There are thousands of diseased and unwholesome birds going right on down the line."
-Poultry Inspector

Sorry so many, I found a lot of good quotes. :)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
"The beef industry has contributed to more American deaths than all the wars of this century, all natural disasters, and all automobile accidents combined. If beef is your idea of 'real food for real people,' you'd better live real close to a real good hospital."
-Neal D. Barnard, M.D

That quote makes me want to do some research on meat. It sounds a bit...exaggerated. But I don't know. Hm. I'm willing to bet Mr. Barnard knows more about the subject than I do, since he's an M.D. and all. :lol:

Very interesting quotes, Steph. Thanks for sharing :)

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
No prob Roz. :) He's probably referring to diseases that meat can possibly contribute to: heart disease, cancer and things like that. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.