Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching Billy the Exterminator and he often catches Armadillos, oh my gosh they are the cutest animals I've ever seen! The don't seem to be very aggressive (like the raccoons - yikes!) so my question is does anyone have an armadillo for a pet? Are they legal and do they make good pets?

I'm thinking the answer is "no" because we don't see them around as people's pets, but why are they not kept?

·
Super Moderator
322 Posts
Some states don't allow people to own exotic animals easily. Most places require a permit for ownership of an armadillo. I have no knowledge of anywhere that sells them. Armadillos have sharp claws, a strong, musky smell, are constantly digging and are nocturnal. If any of this bothers you, then I wouldn't get one for a pet.

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
Armadillos should be quite friendly, but they are wild animals and not pets. If kept, you really need an enclosure for them.

·
1,530 Posts
Yes but as you say, they are wild animals.

It is cruel and inhumane to enclose a wild animal.
That's your opinion, and you are in your full right to have it.
But please remember there may be other opinions.

You say it like it's the only right way of thinking...

I've actually thought about getting one. It's a big commitment, but not cruel if kept under the right conditions imo.
As a pet with a collar on, and never getting to dig or do any natural behaviour you'll might have a problem, and should look into domesticated species.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
My sister i think looked into getting one when she lived in arkansas and i think she found out they are very short lived and quite stupid. They appear to have a very limited brain much like opossums. I am not sure however, that is just what i remember i haven't looked into them. They are pretty cute though.

·
1,530 Posts
Hmm... My info says about 10 years of age, and they should be very social...

They are hard to get breeding in captivity though...
But I guess 10 years is kinda sort if you are used to birds or some of the long lived reptiles ;)

·
Super Moderator
322 Posts
It would probably be easier to own an armadillo than a capybara. I think that it's gross, but some people raise and eat armadillos.

·
1,530 Posts
It would probably be easier to own an armadillo than a capybara. I think that it's gross, but some people raise and eat armadillos.
It's like raiseing any other animal for the sake of the meat...

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
Armadillos are cute. They dig, alot, so they need to have something like an indoor sandbox to dig in. They are messy and they they don't train very easily. They don't develop affection for their owners like dogs.

They are much more suitable to being an exhibit animal in a zoo than a pet in someone's home.

...And some of them carry Hanson's Disease (Leprosy). In fact, most of the cases of Hanson's in the US are directly attibuted to exposure to armadillos.

Bob

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's your opinion, and you are in your full right to have it.
But please remember there may be other opinions.

You say it like it's the only right way of thinking...

I've actually thought about getting one. It's a big commitment, but not cruel if kept under the right conditions imo.
As a pet with a collar on, and never getting to dig or do any natural behaviour you'll might have a problem, and should look into domesticated species.
Agreed. Plus if you think about it, all wild animals are geared to do 3 main things: eat, sleep, reproduce. They are constantly on the lookout for predators and prey. However, a "wild" animal as a pet could have the pleasure of enjoying a safe environment without having to worry about where they will get their next meal.

As long as the circumstances are right and you are willing to commit time and effort into owning a wild animal, I say go for it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oops I forgot to post about my opinion on armadillos! Anyways, I think they are super cute also (although you will find most people see them as rodents and repulsive). I don't know much at all about keeping them as pets, and I'm sure they dont allow them here in California. But if you do end up owning one, ill be waiting for some pics! :)

·
Resident Zoologist
262 Posts
...And some of them carry Hanson's Disease (Leprosy). In fact, most of the cases of Hanson's in the US are directly attibuted to exposure to armadillos.

Bob
Its true....and being a leper is likely not much fun...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts