Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Just stumbled upon this forum looking for some info on caring for my new pups (mixed breed, father is a labrador).

A relative just gave me a male and female pups because the mother doesnt feed the litters anymore, the pups arrived late last month and just turned 4 weeks old few days ago. Since the pups are just local breed, ''askal'' as the term they call here in the Philippines, I was comfortable not to bring them to the vet yet, I noticed the female is having a hard time defecating and had a red poo and the male is vomiting shortly every after a meal. I changed the food from regular milk with rice/ oatmeal (what my relative is giving to the pups) to just pure milk (for cats and dogs, i saw on the pet section of a grocery store), and so far they're not ok. I called up the vet if I can have the pups treated for parvo shots but he told me to wait till at least the pups get 7 or 8 weeks old.

Oh and by the way, we also have a 4 year old male chihuahua.

Oops, just noticed that I cant post a pic link yet till i get a 20 entries.. sorry

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
if the pup is puking you should definetly bring them to the vet, it shouldnt matter what breed they are.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It does sound like the pups are in bad shape. Raw goats milk might be a good alternative. I'm still reading up on the benefits for dogs but it's been well received by mine.

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
I recommend a vet fast for both, just to be on the safe side! And to keep the other dog there healthy too in case the pups have something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for the replies.... a cousin who have had dogs for years came to my rescue. She just gave ''sugar'' to the pups and all is well.. for now. their dogs have been through the same condition and what they did was just to give ''sugar'' to the pups. They are now all full grown dogs.
Few months ago her brother rescued a dying pup and gave the same treatment.. Rosa the pup is now an energetic bouncing dog (3 months old), full of energy.. I suspect she has a golden retriever blood line.
I've read somewhere in the net about giving garlic powder and Neem leaves tea as dewormer.

Oh by the way regarding the title ''Aso ng mga Pusa'', Dog of the Cats, our family has been called cats since the time of my grandpa, because the family is noisy like cats as I was told hahaha!!! So if someone is looking for a family member in the area, they would say ''Mario who? Oh Mariong Pusa (Mario of the cat family).. there, just after the blue building, a three-door apartment, a small green gate, there's the house of Mario.''

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for the replies.... a cousin who have had dogs for years came to my rescue. She just gave ''sugar'' to the pups and all is well.. for now. their dogs have been through the same condition and what they did was just to give ''sugar'' to the pups. They are now all full grown dogs.
Few months ago her brother rescued a dying pup and gave the same treatment.. Rosa the pup is now an energetic bouncing dog (3 months old), full of energy.. I suspect she has a golden retriever blood line.
I've read somewhere in the net about giving garlic powder and Neem leaves tea as dewormer.

Oh by the way regarding the title ''Aso ng mga Pusa'', Dog of the Cats, our family has been called cats since the time of my grandpa, because the family is noisy like cats as I was told hahaha!!! So if someone is looking for a family member in the area, they would say ''Mario who? Oh Mariong Pusa (Mario of the cat family).. there, just after the blue building, a three-door apartment, a small green gate, there's the house of Mario.''

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
How are the pups today? If they are only 4 weeks old I'm sure they need something of the equivelant of momma dog's milk. Talk to the vet about a supplementation food for them to grow on. Folk medicine (what your relatives feed their dogs) could potentially be harmful to a growing puppy if careful nutritional needs are not met. "sugar" consists of what?
Good luck :)

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
The pups need to stay on a puppy/goat milk until they are a bit older. How are they doing? Why sugar? I've only heard of some people giving sugar/honey to dogs for seizures but I have never tried this remedy myself. I don't think it would have any vital nutrients for them. I hope they get better soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi! Thanks for the concern. The pups are doing fine. Its their 3rd day today in ''sugar & garlic powdered-food'', and they are now getting hyper hahaha... must be the sugar. I do have a store-bought dog and cat's milk and I give it to them aside from the twice a day sugar-garlic powdered oatmeal.

If I just give them the milk, they seemed to be complaining.. so i put a little bit of oatmeal in the milk, and they seemed not to like drinking water.. they never touch their water.

I noticed also that they are starting to be playful. After each meal, they would run after me as if they want to chew my toes, so i run away from them and they would follow. This chasing lasts for about 20 to 30 minutes and they will turn to each other pulling each other's ears, but still wont drink water, unless its milk in the bowl. Attitude problem? he he he.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I'm unsure but they're maybe too young for water. They learn to drink that closer to weaning from mom's milk, so as long as you offer it they will drink when they're old enough perhaps?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi! the pups are not eating again as often as before.. but plays too much. keeps on yelping. i try to ignore sometimes but my heart aches!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts