Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I could avoid posting in this section for a while but nobody ever plans on these things.
September 27 was Coco's last day in his little organic doggie form. It was a hard decision and we spent some tie evaluating his quality of life. His anxiety got the better of him in the end, there was approximately 20% of each day in which he was content, calm, and relaxed. And that was when we were in bed not moving. The sounds of construction inside and next door became his personal demon, he became neurotic and stopped eating without aid. The building up of our room to keep him off the bed while we were away was a hint that he was getting worse. He managed to worry himself into both the spare room and our landlord's room and poop on the beds. This week tortured him, and he moved the kennel (which we have about 100-200lbs of books in) dug up the carpet and managed to push one of the chairs off our bed to get up on it. He vomited, peed and pooped on it. That is the extent of his anxiety.

I will always remember his silly little antics.. Like when he was young and mom fed him Kibbles and Bits and he somehow managed to pick out the white sticks and lay them beside his dish. He hated them. I don't know how they smelled different than the rest of the other pieces!
He would mostly always never take something he wanted without first asking for it. He did this by perking up, sitting up and sticking his tongue out and staring at it (most memorable was a bag of Cadbury mini eggs, which I have pictures of somewhere) and we would sneak up and tap the bag or crinkle it and it would drive him wild!! He ruined many treat bags in this way. It was a fun game.

Speaking of games, his longest running most favorite game was grabbing anything (sometimes toys, sometimes things we both knew he shouldn't have[socks, Chloe's toys, cat toys]) and running around and around and around and around a table. Oh my goodness I can't tell you how many times I had to stop from dizzy and he still standing there wagging his tail wanting more. (video on YouTube "Strawberrying" I believe it's called)

Toys, I'm glad we learned early that terrier=tenacious because he went through SO many toys! Ropes were his favorite, rawhide, squeaky- you name it.

Me and Matt were just watching my YT videos and now I remember another game he had, anything too large for him (pizza crust mostly) would end up as a surprise in laundry baskets if they were left around. He would take them away and hide them. He was such a playful pup. I know we did him good by satisfying his need to run and play. He had no re-call so we bought clothes ropes and brought him to fields to run and on nice days we could be out for up to 2 hours.

He brought me so much joy and happiness. I mean, god knows I shared my frustrations enough here and in person but I know I will never find a devoted and loyal friend like him again. Nearing the end all he wanted was to lay on the bed and sleep close. I am now grieving with my purple blanket tucked up in my armpit where I frequently found myself waking up. Stiff as he made my arm I wish he was here now.

The vet was really good to us. She came in and did a really good job of explaining the procedure and talking to him (called him an '87 model I believe) and when it happened it happened so fast and peaceful. We walked home and saw a rainbow. And I'll be god da**d if I didn't see a cloud in the shape of a playing dog.

I will never forget my Coco muffin.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
aww im sorry for your lose may he have fun over the rainbow bridge until you guys meet again someday

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss :(. He was lucky to have such an awesome mom.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I guess I was a little shaken up when writing earlier. I meant to add that while at the vet he was calm. He only whined once and he even ate treats. He always spazzed at the vets, to the point of having 3 techs hold him down for blood work (his heaviest was only ever 24 lbs so his anxiety strength was incredible). But we sat in the room and he sat in our laps patiently and kissed us and looked at our eyes and ate treats. He was such a brave boy. I always knew he could do it.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
I'm so sorry Amanda. :( I'm on the verge of tears right now... Coco knew he was well loved.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Even though I don't spend christmas home anymore, knowing this is the first holiday without him is hard. Last year my sister Lisa watched him at her house. I was nervous thinking he would freak out when I left but even before I left he snuck into my neice's room and went to bed with her. What a nice surprise it was for her :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts