Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

If you could have the choice of either dog which one would you get?

• Shetland shepherds (sheltie)

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Australian Shepherd

Votes: 14 77.8%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are also looking into Australian Shepherds, from what I have heard they are incredible dogs, loyal, easy to train, and very active.
I would like to hear more about this breed from all different points of view, if you love them or cant stand them. If there is any health concerns i should know about or any behavior problems. Approximately how big do they get, or how small can they be?
Thanks for the help!
-Beaglebliss67

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I also like them alot. I dont know much about them, but i know they can be very timid (like shelties) and also hyper (like shelties also, but i wouldnt say quite as bad) the ones i have been around were smaller medium sized. but honestly i dont know if she was done growing or not

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
I love my Australian Shepherd/Blue Heeler mix. He is so sweet

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I like aussies better then shelties as well,but don't know too much about them.They are active dogs that like to be doing something all the time,so maybe if you got one,you could enter him/her in agility or something!

·
Registered
358 Posts
instead of typing it all out i found a couple websites that may help--
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/australianshepherd.htm

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/australianshepherds.html

((Copied and pasted from United States Australian Shepherd Association website))

Australian Shepherd breed characteristics and temperament
TEMPERAMENT
The Australian Shepherd is an intelligent, medium-sized dog of strong herding and guardian instincts. He is also a delightful and loyal companion and a great family dog. He loves to be part of the daily hustle and bustle, and enjoys riding in the vehicle just to be with his beloved master. As a farm dog, he diligently carries out his responsibilities, be they bringing in the stock or finding that stray one that got tangled in the brush. He is easy to train, easy to housebreak, and eager to please.

Aussies have been used as seeing-eye dogs, as utility dogs to the physically handicapped, hearing aid dogs, police and narcotics dogs and search and rescue dogs. In the northern areas they have also been used as sled dogs. Many go with their masters as volunteers to children's homes and nursing homes to do therapy work. Truly, the Australian Shepherd is a highly versatile dog.

The Aussie (as he is lovingly nicknamed) is a very active dog that needs a great deal of exercise on a daily basis to prevent him from become bored or frustrated and developing destructive habits. Because of their high energy level, combined with high intelligence, Aussies need to be given a "job" to perform, be it shepherding the children, protecting the house, herding livestock or competing in dog events.

One of the most frequent reasons Aussies are turned over to rescue groups is because their owners didn't realize how much energy the breed has, and weren't willing to channel that energy through training. Aussies are also quite demanding of their owners' time and attention and want to be constantly with them, following them from room to room in the house, and going along in the car or truck on errands. They can be highly territorial and protective of their masters' possessions, which can cause serious difficulties unless controlled with proper training.

COLORS

The Australian Shepherd comes in four acceptable colors: black, blue merle (a marbling of gray and black), red (ranging from light cinnamon to liver), and red merle (marbling of red and silver or buff). A variety of white and tan markings may appear on the face, chest, front and rear legs. The outer coat is of moderate length, with a texture that is straight to wavy and weather resistant. The undercoat is soft and dense, and the amount varies with climate. Tails are naturally bobbed or docked. Ears are moderately sized, and break forward and over, or the side as rose ears. Males weigh approximately 50 to 65 pounds, measuring from 20 to 23 inches, and females weigh about 40 to 55 pounds, measuring from 18 to 21 inches.

The eyes of the Australian Shepherd are perhaps one of his most commented on features because of the variety of colors. They may be any color or combination of colors from glassy blue, amber, hazel, to all shades of brown.

BREED HISTORY

While there are many theories as to the origin of the Australian Shepherd, the breed as we know it today developed exclusively in the United States. The Australian Shepherd was given its name because of their association with the Basque sheepherders who came to the United States from Australia in the 1800's. The Aussie rose rapidly in popularity with the boom of western riding after World War II, becoming known to the general public via rodeos, horse shows, movies and television. Their inherent versatility and trainability made them useful on American farms and ranches. The American stockmen continued the development of the breed, maintaining the versatility, keen intelligence, strong herding instinct and eye-catching appearance.

Australian Shepherds have been registered by various registries since the early 1950's. In 1990, the United States Australian Shepherd Association was established as the parent club of the Australian Shepherd representing the breed to the American Kennel Club. On September 1, 1991, the AKC recognized the Australian Shepherd breed and on January 1, 1993, accepted them into the Herding Group.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Can I vote neither? They are both very similiar, being that they both reside in the herding group. I would personally never own one. They are hyper, high strung, destructive if not excersised and they can definately be biters. They shed a lot they require a lot of grooming or they get matted. Basically I would say no to both, but thats just me, they can be good dogs. But you definately would have to find a good breeder, and make sure you look at both of the parents. You don't want any suprises with either of those breeds.

·
Dinky Corsetkisser
4,020 Posts
I have an aussie and I absolutely love him...hes quick at learning stuff, and he is such a love...he is amazing with children and loves all other animals (thinks they all want to be his best friend) he loves to play fetch (ballaholic) as well as just crawling up onto the bed with us and cuddling...hes simply amazing...he loves the water and going hiking, camping, fishing...he goes everywhere with us...we brush him about once a week...we take him to the groomers every 3 months just to get a real good bath...hes pretty low mantinence...

I have ben around aussies all my life and I have never seen a destructive one nor one that bites...we rescued ours from the pound (full breed) and he has been amazing...he is only hyper when its play time...we set aside an hour a day to play with him, usually in the evening, but he throws the ball for himself most of the time, he never plays in the house (hes an indoor dog) basicall yI think they are a wonderful breed that are loyal and loving and so smart...

·
Registered
185 Posts
My best friends aussie was awsome, he was also 10years old, he was the kind that rolls over and screams Rub my tummy!!!

·
Registered
968 Posts
I like Aussies and Shelties both alot, but I voted for Sheltie. I wanted to vote for Australian Shepherd, but for me personally, an Aussie just wouldn't be a good match. My fiance is slightly overweight, and I am very overweight. Pretty much any time I read about Australian Shepherds, they are described as highly energetic. Books/sites that "rank" energy levels usually give them 5 out of 5. We just don't have the lifestyle to suit a dog with that much energy. If they were less energetic, or if we had a large fenced in yard, or if I was less overweight and had more energy, I'd consider one.

If you can deal with their high energy, they are wonderful dogs (from what I hear).

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well, Since I have two Aussies I had to go with them. Going by my experience with mine I think they are very intelligent. My two help work my farm. Avalanche is a blonde and white color with blue eyes. He will be a year old next month. And I just got Belle she is white/black and copper She just turned 8 weeks old. Avalanche unties the horses and brings them to you. He rounds up almost anything (but he really mainly likes to torment the pigs) he lays down when told to and sits. He's actually quit a character. He'll lead Rascal my Min.Pin. around where ever he goes (that's his buddy) lol I have to get pictures one day
But he's not even a year old yet and he caught on to all this pretty much on his own. It doesn't take long for them to learn something. Belle mocks everything Avalanche does, so it looks like he has a lil shadow lol both of them know how to play fetch and Avalanche loves to play Frisbee. Both of them are also great with the kids (I baby-sit and my brother has 9 kids of his own and they live right beside me and they are always playing with the dogs) They know when it's play time and when it's time to actually work. But Avalanche thinks anytime is playtime. And they are both very active dogs. They definitely keep me going lol. I brush mine once a week and they get a bath once a month. Mine are inside/outside dogs. They come in when they want and they get to go out when they want. I love both of mine more than anything. I honestly don't have anything bad to say about them because both of mine have been so wonderful.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My friend Lee has a Miniature Horse Farm with about 90 horses. Lee rescued an Aussie (mix ?) almost 18 yrs ago. The dog is beautiful & still works hard on the farm Every Day. She is a fabulous dog. Here she is.....

·
Registered
473 Posts
Elvis Lee Mommy said:
My friend Lee has a Miniature Horse Farm with about 90 horses. Lee rescued an Aussie (mix ?) almost 18 yrs ago. The dog is beautiful & still works hard on the farm Every Day. She is a fabulous dog. Here she is.....
I think that would be an Australian Cattle Dog instead of an Australian Shephard. Very pretty, though- impressive dog.

·
Dinky Corsetkisser
4,020 Posts
my guy loves to be around other animals, he loves horses...I always tell people that want an active dog that learns fast and would be great with kids that these really are dogs I would recommend...Puppers plays football with the little ones (4 & 6 year olds) and they laugh the whole time...I will probably get another one in time...I have 3 dogs now so we aren't ready yet, but when the time comes we want another...

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Elvis Lee Mommy said:
I'm not great at deciphering breeds, thanks. She is such a great girl, very hard worker.
She is a beautiful dog.To me she looks like a australian cattle dog/australian shepherd mix.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts