Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my hubby and I decided we're going to have another baby and I'm worries about Blitzen. Around the 8th month of my pregnancy I'm going to be going back South to give birth and stay there for a few months until the baby's lungs are developed. I just don't know if he's going to be OK...he cries and whines if I'm in a different room and won't stop until I come back and pet & cuddle him. If I leave him in the living room and tell him to stay there, he piddles on the floor. If he's eating and he hears me go downstairs or to the bathroom (which is right next door to the kitchen) he leaves his food and tries to follow me. I end up either closing the door or telling him to stay and he still piddles and he stays there until I yell at him to go back to his meal. My husband will be here, home with him until it's close to my due date and then we have a friend watching him until he gets back home. What should I do now to make it easier for him and give myself peace of mind when I'm there?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
sounds like puppy has sepration anixety, perhaps try crate training ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They actually have NO crates up here in the North...most people let their dogs sleep outside in dog houses. And getting one shipped up here, one that he can grow into would cost me an arm and a leg. I have no problem putting him in his room (which is a big closet beside my bedroom), he goes in there willingly at night and whenever I have to go out. He only freaks out when were all up and I need to go to another part of the apartment. Would not giving him as much attention as I do help?

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
How old is he?

Does he follow your husband around as well? Maybe when you're not home? How is he around other people?

My dog acted similar when he was a puppy. He was fine in his crate but when he was out in our apartment he HAD to always be with someone. I started calling him my shadow because he would always follow me from room to room...he'd even wake up from a sound sleep to follow me if I left the room while he was sleeping. He didn't pee on the floor when I left him though, although he would whine.

I don't think it was separation anxiety with him because he was fine when we left him home alone, he just wanted to be near us whenever he could. If he knew we where home he wanted to constantly be with us.

Anyways, my dog is 2 now and to a point he's grown out of it. Now that he's older I can leave the room and he's not constantly following me. Sometimes he does, but if he's sleeping or relaxing he'll usually just stay where he is. If he's awake he'll usually follow me just because I think he enjoys the company. But if I close a door or if I'm doing something boring he'll just wonder off again and do his own thing, or relax in the room I'm in.

Do you know who will be watching him while you and your husband are away? Maybe it would help to have that person come over once in awhile to spend some time with Blitzen so they can get to know each other well. Then when you leave, hopefully Blitzen will enjoy the company of your friend just as much as he apparently enjoys being with you.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
It sounds at least like the closet is his space, his den. So in a way it would be his crate if you were to 'train' him. I suggest that he whines to get attention and pees when you ignore him as attention getting behavior. Trust me, get professional help if you need to because this will develop into serious and probably troublesome behavior if he grows up protecting you. He needs to learn to be without you and learn that whining is bad behavior. You only encourage and praise him for acting that way by entering the room and snuggling him. While he is already in a state of mind that is anxious (peeing on the floor if you close the door or leave) you should NEVER praise that. Ignore it totally. It might be hard but do it. You do not want to get rid of the dog once he grows up trying to compete for attention from the baby. Treat this now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts