Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!! My 4 week old baby degu keeps escaping his cage!! I don't know what to do! I have plexiglass 6 inches high all around the cage but he is still managing to get out. Should I put all 4 babies and 2 mommies and 1 daddy in a 10 gal aquarium? Or just the momma and the babies? Or do you think if I take out the levels where he could be getting out that that would help? This is the 4th time he's escaped this last time minutes after I caught him and put him back and walked away. Luckly he usually always goes to the same spot but I'm still looking for him right now..... Please help!!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
try putting mesh on the cage maybe ?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
What's the spacing between bars? You might have to keep them in an aquarium until he grows a bit.

A 10-gallon isn't large enough for degus period. Even as a temporary home, I'd get at least a 20-gallon. The dad should be separated to prevent more babies (females can breed right after giving birth!).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wonder's if maybe my uncle could build me a cage? Anyone know how to do this? I need 1/2" bar spaceing if not less but now have 5 adults and 5 babies, which may also be mine if I can't find good homes for them. Getting despirate on the cage thing. Have babies in Seperate cage from male but once these babies are full grown my cages are not big enough for 10. My big cage has 4 levels and is 5 ft tall which has 2 momma's, 5 babies in it at the moment and my small 2 story cage about 3 ft tall has daddy and 2 youngsters in it. I really wanted to house them all together but daddy is a breeding monster and must be kept apart from female's so any ideas on where to purchase or where to make a cage to house LOTS of degus?

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
How about getting the dad fixed?

A good way to build a chinchilla cage, is to go out and find a big closet or something like that, that you like. Most people can find some really nice 2. hand closets.
Then you remove some of the wood/what ever the doors are made out of, and replace it with some mesh.
Put in a locking mechanism so you can open and close the doors, but the animals can't open the door/doors.
If you think it's a bit too dark, you can make some holes in the sides, and put mesh in them.
Then you just find some wood they can chew on, and make some shelves for them.

http://www.chinchillaforum.dk/newforum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3845&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I know it's not a chinchilla, but I would guess you could do the same for a degu cage...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have choose not to get daddy fixed as it is very dangerous for degus compaired to other rodents and also very costly. I'm probably spending more money on cages and food for all the little guys but that's ok. I have been very fortunate in finding good homes for the little guys, gals so far but if it so happens and I can't find a home I will keep them all to myself as I love them so much :). I will have to look into that closet idea. Sounds perfect. I just need to keep daddy away from the female's but I can keep him in the little cage and put all the female's in the closet cage. Hopefully my uncle can make one for me, I'm not all that great at building but he builds houses so he may have time to help me. :) Right now the 13 week old's are housed with daddy in 3/4" bars and they no longer can escape but the 2 week old babies are in 7/8" bar spacing with plexiglass covering the first foot so I know as soon as they start climbing they will be out running around the house. And if it's like the first litter, they started escaping at about 3 to 4 weeks old. So I have about a week to get on this or I'll be chasing them all over! LOL!!

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
I do not agree with you on the whole fixing problem.
Vets know a lot more now, than they did a few years ago. It has also been a very big problem with chinchillas and operations, but as long as you find a good vet, it's not at big problem.

When that's said, why don't you keep some boys, and put them in with the dad. Then you can have 2 cages. 1 for males and 1 for females.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts