Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neither of my dogs are agressive in any way,but for the last few months I been noticing they took up barking a lot when we go for walks when they see other people/ dogs.In the house they bark if someone opens the door,& once you acknowledge them or (if your a stranger) they smell you,they are fine.
But when walking they won't stop.
I'm puzzled.I don't want my dogs to stop barking altogether,I just need a way for the excessive barking when seeing people while theyre walking to stop.
BTW my house is ALWAYS full, with over 30 people on weekends not being rare.They are used to people & being petted etc,& if people bring their pets over to my house they get along perfectly,so WHY are they barking when out walking?& How can I get them to stop?I'm eventually going to move in the city,& dogs barking doesnt go over well...

Please do not suggest bark control shock collars...I think theyre cruel (my opinion) this is a new problem.Within the last 5 months the most.Had 1 dog 3 years,the other 9.PLEASE help!!

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
I don't know what to tell you but a lot of times it's a learned behavior. My mom's dog barked and the only way to get him to stop was to get a bark collar. I know a lot of people will say that it's cruel but in this situation our neighbor was very sick with cancer and his wife asked that he keep the dog from barking. He doesn't wear the collar now but he wore it when the neighbor was sick. Someone else would probably know better then me, and I am not saying buy a dog collar (I think they're cruel also, I wouldn't want to be shocked everytime I talk.)

·
Registered
968 Posts
We used a bark collar with Ein only a handful of times. We always told him 'hush' a couple times, then asked him if he needed a bark collar. If he didn't stop, we'd put the bark collar on for a few minutes, then took it off. Now all we have to do is ask, "Ein, do you need a bark collar?" and 9 times out of 10, he stops barking. I would never put one on him and leave it on all the time, because I think it's cruel. Dogs bark. They need to learn to listen when you tell them 'hush', not stop barking all together.

They have other types of "bark collars" that aren't electronic, but use stuff like ultra sonic sounds or smells. Maybe something like that would work?

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for replying :)
I known a few people who had cancer now :( One of my neighbours actually has it.
Around my house etc,they are quiet though& in the house where theres usually a LOT of people.You don't even know they are around when they are in the yard & when they are in the house they are quiet (minus the first when you open the door they bark a couple secs & its just to let you know someones there) .Thats whats puzzling me, why be well behaved outside while playing in the yard,& inside around lots of people BUT act up when out walking? I am so confused :S

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
corgimom said:
They have other types of "bark collars" that aren't electronic, but use stuff like ultra sonic sounds or smells. Maybe something like that would work?
I heard something about that before.Theres one that plays music or something I believe too? When the dog starts barking excessively the music [only they can hear] starts playing & they calm down.I wonder if they would actually work?
I WiLL look into it,thank you!! :thumbsup:

·
Salamander Burgermuffin
2,612 Posts
we use a water bottle and squirt allie if she wont stop when we tell her. it kinda works.. we prolly dont do it enough for her to get the full idea... They had this problem on the TV show 'barking mad' one time. i think they used clicker training to correct it. altho i dont know how well that would work with two dogs.. my grandma used to use a Soda can with some pennies in it to get there attention. Altho with allie i think it might make her bark more.. i dunno. might be worth trying :)

·
Dinky Corsetkisser
4,020 Posts
I have the opposite problem, my brother raised Puppers, and he was raised to not bark, so he never barks lol...but lately I have gotten him to do some barking, there are times when he does it and scares himself lol its cute...so my big chore is letting him know its ok to bark sometimes lol but so far the only time he will is when Ken pulls up at 5:30 and Pup gets so excited that daddy's home that he whines and then barks...and we, silly people we are, get all excited and love all over him for it lol man are we backwards...

I saw one of the collars that lets a smell out when they bark, it looks interesting, they said it was a citrus scent...good luck :)

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
candyraver said:
I heard something about that before.Theres one that plays music or something I believe too? When the dog starts barking excessively the music [only they can hear] starts playing & they calm down.I wonder if they would actually work?
I WiLL look into it,thank you!! :thumbsup:
I've never heard of a music one, I can't imagine they really work very well...
As for the shock collars, well MANY dogs learn to bark around those. They just start barking at a different pitch.
I have seen the ones that puff a spray of nasty smelling stuff when they bark though. I've seen those be most effective. People can't smell it, but the dog can. It would be the equvilant to spraying them with water to surprise them.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HappyDancer said:
I have the opposite problem, my brother raised Puppers, and he was raised to not bark, so he never barks lol...but lately I have gotten him to do some barking, there are times when he does it and scares himself lol its cute...so my big chore is letting him know its ok to bark sometimes lol but so far the only time he will is when Ken pulls up at 5:30 and Pup gets so excited that daddy's home that he whines and then barks...and we, silly people we are, get all excited and love all over him for it lol man are we backwards...

I saw one of the collars that lets a smell out when they bark, it looks interesting, they said it was a citrus scent...good luck :)
Cute xD your doggie sounds adorable (I love dogs):D
Approx how much did the collar cost?:confused:

·
Registered
968 Posts
New Spray bottle $3.00........

Bottle of White Vinegar (dilute 50/50 with water) $2.00......

Bag of really nice smelly treats (to reward them for not barking if they see a dog or person)$6.00.....

Getting your dogs to stop barking while you are out on a walk priceless.

This will work and is much cheaper than the collar which can run you up-wards of $50.00 per collar ... I tried the shock collars on my dogs but the barked and then yelped from the pain of the shock and got zapped for yelping then yelped again and kept getting shocked this was a horrible experience for me and I wouldn't want anyone else to go through it, I started crying I felt so bad... I would never try this as an option, unless you can handle watching your dog roll around on the ground in pain.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I often buy from www.drsfostersmith.com because they often have better prices (and always have a better selection) than pet stores, so I checked there for prices for you. There are 2 spray anti-bark collars.

AboiStop Citronella Spray Anti-Bark Collar The collar is $70 and a refill with 300 sprays is $10.

PetSafe Spray No-Bark Collar The collar is $70 and the refill (approx 400 sprays) is $12

Leo, I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience with the bark collar. Funny how they sell 2 different levels of "remote trainers" based on dog size and sensitivity, but only one type of bark collar. It means that smaller or more sensitive dogs don't have the option to have a lower voltage bark collar. Which isn't at all fair to them.

When we put Ein on the bark collar the first time, he looked more surprised than anything else. He came and climbed into our laps for cuddles, then went and sulked on the floor (he is a very sulky puppy in general. He once sulked for an entire 36 hours because we left him with his grandpa for a day and a half so we could go to the beach-and he loves his grandpa), because he hadn't made the connection that he got shocked because he barked. I guess the difference was that he stopped barking, so he didn't go through the vicious cycle of being shocked repededly. He didn't act like he was in any pain, though it's possible that he was. He didn't really start making the connection that the collar shocked when he barked, until we started asking him "do you need a bark collar?" and showing it to him, when he didn't listen when we said 'hush'. I think that's one of the biggest problems with bark collars. If the dog doesn't know WHY they are being shocked, they are not going to stop the behavior.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My dog, Roxie, never barks. This is our trick:

Get a tin can. Fill it with objects like nails, buttons, pins, and magnets, etc. Keep it at hand. When your dog barks, shake the can. It will frighten your dog, dogs don't like loud noises. Every time your dog barks, shake the can and say firmly, "No barking."
Roxie learned very quickly that she was not to bark. I am against shock and spray collars because they can hurt the dog, and make them aggressive.
The old tin can works like a charm. :)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I hope you can figure something out.I never had to train a dog NOT to bark.My fosters were all generally quiet and only barked outside and only sometimes.And Coco (family's dog) will "speak" on command and usually only barks then.Or if he is left alone.

Oh,but you shouldn't give them any sort of attention when they bark,as they will continue to do so.

I do not agree with the shock collars.

·
Registered
968 Posts
The tin can is a good idea for most dogs, but it doesn't work for all. Ein barks at almost every single unexpected noise he hears. Hence the reason we have worked with him not to bark.

Bang a parmesan cheese container on the counter because you are trying to break apart the big chunks of cheese? WOOF!
Neighbor starts his motorcycle? WOOF!
Doorbell? WOOF!
Daddy knocks on the wall to drive the puppy crazy and make him think there's someone at the door? WOOF!
Daddy tickles Mommy and Mommy laughs really loud? WOOF!
Thunder too loud? WOOF!
Drop something heavy on the floor? WOOF!

You get the picture.

If your dog is barking because of loud noises, a tin can won't do anything but make him/her bark more (believe me, we've tried). But if your dog is randomly barking or barking at people or animals, it might work. Ein has always barked at noises, and Tucker rarely barks extensively, and usually listens to 'hush', so I've never tried using the tin can method on a dog that wasn't barking due to noises.

As for the scent "bark collars", I thought they were designed so that the unexpected smell would catch their attention, but didn't hurt them in any way? I've been thinking about getting one for Ein, because I hate using the electronic collar. It never shocks him anymore because he quiets down as soon as you mention the word 'bark collar', but I still think it's kind of mean to "threaten" him with something that he's scared of. I haven't bought one yet because I wasn't sure if they really worked or not.

Do you remember where you heard that the spray collars hurt them? I'd love to read the research since I've been thinking about getting one.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Spray collars wouldn't hurt a dog at all ... I have never heard of a spray collar hurting them or any studies saying that. I would use a spray collar, but I think it would be cheaper to try the vinegar and water in a spray bottle and just as effective.

If your dog is barking at everything for no legitimate reason it might be his way of saying he is bored... Have you tried giving him frozen stuffed Kong's? These have almost completely stopped my guys from doing the barking for no reason (the pennies in the can thing just made my guys bark even more too). Remember a Tired dog is a good dog.... because Ein is a Corgi (a herding breed) he needs to be continually stimulated or given a job, to avoid becoming bored and doing the unnecessary barking or other destructive behaviors. My guys have herding in them too and the Kong's have made a HUGE difference in keeping my house quieter. I have had Kong's for years and they would play with them filled or not, but I didn't always fill them... This year I noticed that on days they were filled they were quieter than on the days I didn't, so now they are filled daily...I will usually fill them the night before and throw them in the freezer so they are ready for the next day. This has dramatically reduced the barking in my home :).

I use the vinegar and water on Leo who doesn't have a huge barking problem. I've only had to use it a few times on him... it didn't hurt him at all ... it gets his attention more than plain water does and now if he sees me grab the spray bottle to squirt him he stops barking right away (I use a misting spray bottle not one that streams... so it is more like a mist than a spray).

·
Registered
968 Posts
I've thought about getting a kong for Tucker, but Ein doesn't normally like to chew on plastic toys, only rawhide. To him, the only toys worth playing with are ones he can destroy. He ignores all of the plastic toys we have unless Colleen or Tucker is asking him to play. If it was filled, he'd probably like it, though, since he is a piggy boy.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
We use a squirt bottle at the office/kennel for when dogs do bad things...like barking at nothing (which they sometimes do) or starting a fight or whatever and it works.Most times now you pick up the spray bottle and they behave,as they don't wanna be squirted.We use plain water.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hahaha, Corgi. That's hilarious.

Yes, I hadn't thought of that... Roxie did bark at the tincan a few times when we first started using it, but then she got annoyed by all the noises droning her out (it was kind of a fight! :rolleyes: ) and stopped barking, since she noticed that when she stopped so did the noise.

The spray collars I speak of are the citronella spray collars. I found an article about it somewhere online, but sometimes it sprays into the dogs eyes and can hurt them. My friend's beagle yiped every time it sprayed, making it spray even more! However, I can't tell you that it was hurting the beagle, it could've just freaked it out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts