Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
Look up Periophthalmus argentilineatus to see if it matches. There are a few commonly sold mudskipper species (all wild-caught to my knowledge). I mostly have experience with Periophthalmodon septemradiatus.

The care will be different depending on the species. Most are brackish with some being adaptable enough to tolerate marine or even freshwater conditions. I kept mine in low salinity brackish conditions (achieved using marine salt, I used Instant Ocean brand). I kept a bare bottom tank for ease of cleaning but used sand briefly (it does look more natural and lets them dig but my species was more terrestrial so it didn't matter). I used rocks as decorations and left a few sticking out of the water to create land areas. I also had a fake cave underwater which mine liked to hide in when she was actually in the water. I originally fed crickets, fruit flies, bloodworms, blackworms, mysis shrimp, and enriched brine shrimp. As time went on she started to eat pellets occasionally, too. She was very tame and would eat of my hand.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
That's why I asked about the species thing, pet stores tend to get it wrong and common names don't mean much anyway ;). I don't know what they're normally called, I usually just see them labeled as "mudskippers" :lol:.

I had just one. I sexed her by comparing her to photos online, I can try to find them tomorrow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.