Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think instead of getting other pets I dont really want I am going to wait until I can afford a dog.

How much does it generally cost to own a small dog like a boston terrier? The weight limit is 20 lbs or I'd look for another corgi shelti mix :p

I know plenty about raising them but I have never paid for one on my own.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Hmm, it's not very clear cut. It depends on where you get the dog, how healthy s/he is, what you feed, what supplies you'll need (for example, maybe you already have dishes or something), the grooming required (a Sheltie mix may need professional grooming if you're not up for it), which vaccinations you get done, if your area has Lyme disease, if you need flea/tick and heartworm prevention year round (I don't know where you live), if the dog is already fixed, etc.

The first year is usually quite expensive because of the need for supplies and veterinary care. After that the cost drops but dogs are expensive pets in general...definitely more expensive than cats. You also always need to have some money saved in case of a medical emergency (just like with any pet but dogs are more likely to run into problems compared to, say, a hamster).

On another forum I'm a member of there was recently a thread on monthly pet costs. I calculated what it costs each month to have my dogs so I'll go post that info for you later :).

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking boston terrier or boston terrier mix from a rescue though I could consider a breeder.

I have a list of supplies and costs
Food bowl 12
Collar 8

Harness 15

Dog food 30

Toys ( chew , soft and squeaky) 50

Dog bed 30

I.d. Tag 6

Cheap Fleece Blanket 5

Dog brush 5

Dog Shampoo 5

Nail Cutter 10

pee pads? 20

Flea treatment 25

Total = 220

I dont want a crate.

A small dog will be that expensive? i was thinking food toys vet basically all the rest is initial.

food monthly will be 30 I dont know about vet, toys I'm thinking like 20 a month?

I just want to look into it and I'll be sure about it before i bring a little one home

We'll use Emma's vet for him too so I can talk to them about vet costs.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Here's what I posted on the other forum:

Dog food (raw) for my own two 20-22 lb dogs: $40-$50 a month (can be done for cheaper during a "bad" month by using more poultry and less red meat/fish...the bulk of the cost is from sardines and goat meat)
Grooming supplies/chews/toys for both dogs: $5 a month (I don't have very playful dogs, haha)
Heartworm prevention and flea/tick prevention for both dogs: $8 a month (factoring in months that I don't give anything)
Vet care and grooming for both dogs: $40 a month (factoring in yearly check-up/heart worm test/Lyme test, Rabies vaccine, and professional grooming)

Total for Sophie and Gracie:
$93-$103 a month

Sophie and Gracie are 20 lbs each so divide that in half for one dog. Sophie was MUCH more expensive the first year (spaying, vaccinations, check-ups, etc.) and she also got Lyme. Gracie has already needed medical care (I got her a few weeks ago). So the monthly cost is usually the least of a dog owner's worries. I think you could do it if you planned ahead and saved for a while but I'd focus on your kitty for now (since she's new and has been needing to go to the vet).

Also, if I remember correctly, you don't have a car yet. I don't either right now but I have friends who are able to give me rides and I can get veterinary care and dog food very close to my house (walking distance). Make sure you plan for that too.

Where do you live? Some areas need flea/tick prevention and heartworm prevention year-round but others don't. I don't give anything over winter so that saves me money :). I also don't get vaccinations for my dogs besides Rabies now (they've gotten the others before, I just consider them "done" with them).

Oh, and I'd get a crate if possible. Small dogs are difficult to house-train and a crate is a lifesaver! I'd get that instead of pee pads, honestly. You also forgot heartworm prevention in your calculations.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
By the way, I apologize if you've mentioned this before but are you planning to go to college? Keep that in mind when you're deciding whether or not to get a dog and are researching breeds. I've had to make a lot of sacrifices (sometimes to my education) to keep my dogs through college. It's not always easy. Talk to Boston Terrier owners, see how they do when left alone and also ask about barking (since you've mentioned getting an apartment).

Good luck with your research, it's very fun to go dog shopping! :D

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I have a 20 lb dog, got him when he was 9 weeks old. The first year of his life I kept a spreadsheet to keep track of what I spent on him. In total, the first year of living with us, I spent $3,436.00 on him.

That included everything I spent on him...food, vet bills, toys, supplies, medications, etc. That was without any major medical problems, a few minor ones, and did not include things like having to pay to replace household items that he destroyed. He was a little terror when he was a puppy!

Normally, as long as your dog is healthy, puppies are more expensive their first year, just because as puppies they need more vaccinations, and there's getting them fixed to worry about. You can cut down your costs a bit if you adopt an adult dog rather than getting a puppy. But then as they age, eventually you may have to start to deal with senior dog health issues. Usually vets recommend senior dogs visit the vet more often for check ups as well.

Keep in mind that you really should be prepared in case of emergency. Keep some money tucked aside in case something unexpected happens. Emergency vet bills can often times run into the thousands of dollars depending on what's wrong and vet pricing in your area.

Dogs are expensive. I've owned a lot of different types of pets over the years including exotics that required expensive vet care, but my dog is definitely up there on the list as far as expenses go. He's worth every penny though :D

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already looked at forums and how they do alone and I will not need a crate I am rescuing a grown house broken dog.

I am not getting one yet and will not until money permits. at the soonest it would be next year and that would be very early still. and I am going for a short degree at a community college and my school is paid for because my moms income.

Also I am starting a vet fund.

My vet is less than a mile from my house and i am getting a car in 6 weeks.

Also bostons do not bark unless something is wrong or they are riled up during play. I have read I cant tell you how many sites.

I want to rescue a neutered house broken male.

Also the heart worm I just forgot to type up lol

Also I made a spread sheet ( plus the vet fund and monthly expenses)

I think i accounted for normal expenses and the vet fund just in case. I know I cant yet but I want to research everything before I even think about contacting a rescue

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I would still consider a crate. House-broken dogs don't always "remember" in a new home (believe me) and it will prevent destruction to your belongings when you're gone.

I always crate train new dogs. Some dogs don't need the crate after a while but it's a great tool for a brand new canine :).

Like I said, I think you'll be fine if you save for a while and know you'll have a steady job and everything. Just keep future plans in mind, a dog can really complicate things (mainly travel, haha). And random vet bills are killer!

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont really travel but when I do I have plenty who would care for it if it doesnt come with me. Emma would be the problem in that case lol.

Its just I have never been one for crates. I will train him and deal with destruction and work with him I dont believe in confining.

My job is steady the only thing that isnt is my hours and I will work that out before I make a commitment on something so huge :D

The random vet bills are mainly what I am worried about I dont want anything to stop me from the care he needs.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Yep. messi has impacted my traveling. He has come with to several states now.

I would consider getting a crate especially if you get a rescue from a shelter, sometimes they need their little cubby hole. Plus you won't know 100% how they will do alone or at night. No breed is 100% bark free unless there is a problem. You could get a yappy boston terrier at the shelter we have had our share of barking bostons.

You also should expect to pay a pet deposit and or pet rent. Mine was 300 for deposit and no pet rent.

you can get cheap bowls, at the dollar store that are quite nice, even thrift stores have them. the amount they will play/destory toys is individual dog based. I spend hundreds of dollars a year on toys cause i am a dog toy addict.

You will have to think about if you want to go to obidience classes, running about 100 dollars at petsmart for 8 week class.

Collars can be boughten from the dollar store as well, they are actually pretty nice and cute. Not always good for large dogs as they are cheap for a small dog they work.

You may or may not need a harness, car seat, life jacket... You may need to buy a new harness when they chew it off when you forget that its on and too loose.

Find out what food you want to feed, and see the cost. Mine is about 30 for a month or two but i think i need to switch to something else, he doesn't like it that well.

wet food, again pick the brand you want see how much it costs..

Might need belly bands for a male if he marks. may or may not...

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I picked a food. Innova.

because of the short nose I insist on a harness.

If the rescue says I should get a crate I will go with that.

They are quick learners and I am generally a good teacher so that we will see

I am getting stainless steel I trust only that and ceramic. All emmas dishes are ceramic.

I did check out the pet deposit its 250 Monthly it will probably be an extra 50

I will talk to the person about details Overall they tend to not bark as much as little dogs ...

Not trying to be bossy just showing my view and what I have considered and that I am listening I have altered things from what people said.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I'm an advocate of crate training as well. I know you said you don't like confining, but if trained correctly many dogs actually love their crates. The crates become the dogs "safe zone" - just a nice comfy area that is all their own where they can go to relax and get away from it all. Kind of like a person who has their own bedroom. It's nice to have a space that is all your own.

I think of crates not so much as for confining a dog for your own convince, but as a good way to keep your dog safe when you can't be there to supervise his/her. Destruction is one thing when all it does is damage your property, but dogs can also hurt themselves, sometimes very seriously, when being destructive.

My dog is crate trained, but now that he is older and better behaved we never close him in his crate. However, his crate is still up in our bedroom because he loves it so much we decided not to take it down. Most nights he prefers to sleep in his crate rather than anywhere else in the house and he takes many of his afternoon naps in there, as well as spending time hanging out in there with his toys or chews.

We call our dog's crate his "bedroom" to make it sound more pleasant, because it really is a very comfortable pleasant place for him.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was planning on a huge serta pet bed would that be an ok safe place for him?

I will definetly look into a crate ... However if it stresses Him I am NOT doing that. I will just pet proof somewhere or something. we'll make it work :D

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Yeah look into it and see what you think. I think what a lot of dogs like about crates, that a pet bed wouldn't provide, is that they are more covered and den like.

Just so you know, from personal experience, enclosing him in a pet proofed area is probably going to stress him out just as much as crating him would, at first. Dogs who aren't use to being left alone in a confined space are going to get stressed out no matter if that space is a crate or a pen or a room in your house. Even dogs left alone to run around the whole house can get stressed when left alone.

The key to avoiding future stress with a crate is to work to make it be a positive place for your dog to spend time. Look into it, there are lots of websites about how to properly crate train :)

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Yeah look into it and see what you think. I think what a lot of dogs like about crates, that a pet bed wouldn't provide, is that they are more covered and den like.

Just so you know, from personal experience, enclosing him in a pet proofed area is probably going to stress him out just as much as crating him would, at first. Dogs who aren't use to being left alone in a confined space are going to get stressed out no matter if that space is a crate or a pen or a room in your house. Even dogs left alone to run around the whole house can get stressed when left alone.

The key to avoiding future stress with a crate is to work to make it be a positive place for your dog to spend time. Look into it, there are lots of websites about how to properly crate train :)
Great post and I definitely agree.

For many of my fosters, it's been less stressful to crate them as opposed to putting them in the pen or a room. They like that "den" set-up. At night I put blankets over the crates and that calms them even more :).

And yeah, some dogs freak out even with the run of the house. We've only had two dogs like that but it happens...after all, they're still confined to the house ;).

I think most anti-crate people (not all!) just didn't do the crate training properly. I'm sure you'll be researching a lot so I don't think it'd be a problem for you. You know better than most owners who might just stick the dog in the crate randomly (which I admittedly did with my first dog as a kid...good thing he liked it, ha!).

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I dont really travel but when I do I have plenty who would care for it if it doesnt come with me. Emma would be the problem in that case lol.

Its just I have never been one for crates. I will train him and deal with destruction and work with him I dont believe in confining.

My job is steady the only thing that isnt is my hours and I will work that out before I make a commitment on something so huge :D

The random vet bills are mainly what I am worried about I dont want anything to stop me from the care he needs.

Okay, I am NOT bullying here. I just wanna point out a few things. .
1. You said you don't travel. . Neither did I until I met Matt. That's 13 years without travelling then I was hit was finding someone to look after my dog and bunny. That cost me about 200$ for an 11 day stay factoring in payment and taxi's to and from their babysitters. Just keep in mind that dogs (especially smaller terrier type) can live to be like 16 yrs.
2. I would consider a crate. I regret not getting the chance to properly train my dog in one which led to an accident and mutliple damages. At first I didn't like the idea either but dogs appreciate it, they really do. Humans humanize their dogs to the point where they ruin their lives and natural tendencies (I say this from exprience btw. My poor dog has lost it.)
3. I had a steady well paying job too. . Until I went back to school. ONce you're studying there's no time to work. I find it hard working 10 hours a week and doing full time school. Consider that for the long run too.

Anyway, I know you're not thinking too much into this atm but these are just a few things to think about when you do :)

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am considering a crate its not about humanizing my dog that's not the problem its I tried crate training and my dog couldn't handle it. I have never met an animal that likes confined. I am consideriing the crate for the dog to have a safe place my sisters dog has free roam but when he wants alone he goes to his crate

If I travel it is by car and the dog will go with us esp camping and family can care for them

As for jobs and school I am. Trying to get more hours or a second job and only going part time

1 - 17 of 17 Posts