Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering how long I should allow for the Baytril to really make a big difference? Russell has been on it for 4 days (today is day 4), and as of yesterday evening he was still sneezing (wet), though overall he seems to be sneezing with a bit less frequency throughout the day. (He does still have sneezing "episodes", though, in which he'll sneeze several times in a row.) This morning I haven't heard any sneezes yet, but he does still sound a tiny bit congested. Should I continue to monitor for another couple of days before going back to the vet, or should I get an appointment soon?

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
I'm just wondering how long I should allow for the Baytril to really make a big difference? Russell has been on it for 4 days (today is day 4), and as of yesterday evening he was still sneezing (wet), though overall he seems to be sneezing with a bit less frequency throughout the day. (He does still have sneezing "episodes", though, in which he'll sneeze several times in a row.) This morning I haven't heard any sneezes yet, but he does still sound a tiny bit congested. Should I continue to monitor for another couple of days before going back to the vet, or should I get an appointment soon?
4-5 days is normal to see any improvements. If you feel he's not improving much on just baytril and still seems sick, then you should go back and ask for a 2nd med.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I'll keep monitoring him for the rest of the day today. If he's still wet sneezing tomorrow, I'll call the vet. I wonder if I'll have to take him in again, or if she'll just write a prescription for doxy for me? (I'd prefer not to have to take him again, since he's presenting the same symptoms. We'll see how he is tomorrow, and I'll be sure to update this thread.)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, Russell has seemed to improve since Tuesday. His sneezing has decreased, and he really hasn't had much porphyrin staining at all for the past couple of days. I had called the vet on Monday when I was worried about his lack of improvement, and she said to give it until Wednesday--a full week of treatment--and if he still hadn't improved she would prescribe doxy. For now, though, it looks like he might do well enough on the Baytril alone. I'm going to continue monitoring him closely throughout the cycle of meds, and if he does show more symptoms again, I'll get the doxy from the vet. :)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Keep us posted Breyer, I will be sending healthy thoughts your way for your boys! I wish I had advice to give on this but my boys have never been to the vet for Baytril (although they are getting a bit sneezy too lately..hmm) Can't tell if it is pollen/summer allergens or something else. I will keep an eye on it. Let me know how it goes with the Baytril!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Vlad! Stanley seems fine, and Russell has definitely improved. One thing I've noticed, though, is that both of them tend to be more sniffly on hot, muggy days--pretty much coinciding with my own congestion. I bet that a lot of it is due to the weather, and the fact that I don't have air conditioning doesn't help. Overall, though, I'm much happier with Russell's condition lately. The meds are definitely helping him. :)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Breyer,
I am SO glad to hear Russell is doing better and that the meds seem to be helping, that is a relief! Yes, I agree about the muggy days and congestion..I could swear that on some mornings when I have a sneezy nose and sinus congestion myself, due to pollen/allergies and all that summertime stuff, that MY boys also seem extra sneezy, so I am sure that is definitely part of it. We have such high humidity up here in the Seattle area in the summer and our condo apartment gets VERY hot in summer so my husband and I splurged and got one of those air conditioning units that attach to a window with a big hose and now our little apartment living room, where the boys are, gets nice and cool when we turn it on. I know rats are not very good with high temperatures. But an oscillating fan and frozen water bottles are also a nice help. Again, glad to hear Russell is improving and that Stanley is doing well also! Keep us posted! Smooches to your boys from me!

Vlad

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, Russell has been sneezing again with porphyrin, so I called the vet and she prescribed some doxy as well. She said they're going to make it banana-flavored, so I'm sure Russell will love that... but since I've never dealt with doxycycline before, I'm wondering if I can administer it at the same time as the Baytril, or should I wait a couple of hours between the two meds?

He's also still limping around, and the vet said if it starts to swell or doesn't improve within the next several days she can prescribe some metacam to help it along, but if it gets worse she would want to check him out. I've been reading about hind leg degeneration--I'm probably freaking myself out for nothing, because he's not even 12 months yet, so I'm assuming it's probably too early for this, right? He has no color or temp change in either back leg, and no noticeable swelling. I'm hoping it is just a mild sprain.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Breyer,
I wish I could give you some good advice regarding your questions about how far apart (or not) you can give multiple meds, or hind leg degeneration as I just don't have any personal experience with that but I still wanted to send a post to tell you I am sending lots of happy and healthy thoughts to Russell and I have my fingers crossed that he will be just fine!:thumbsup:

No worries about freaking out...I am just like you, a very protective rat mommy who freaks out about 5 times a day for no reason, as I worry all the time about my sweet boys and want to always know they are fine. So far, they are but I still worry! Please keep us posted on Russell, and if no one replies to your post about your questions, maybe you can go to some rat care/illness sites that have information on these questions? I will tell you what...at least we know Russell and Stanley have a super home and lots of great care and love, so that already gives them a leg up on being as strong as possible to fight illness. :)Give Russell and Stanley smooches from me! Keep me posted!

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
I give my doxy and my baytril at the same time, just make sure any foods with calcium in it or probiotics are given 2 hours before or after you medicate, as it will render the doxy useless.

Some sprains take longer than others...has it improved? Massively doubt its HED... :)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, that's good to know! I have to call the pharmacy today and they are sending the meds to me asap. Today, thankfully, Russell seems to be getting around much better. He's still sore in his back end, and hobbles a little, but he was quite perky and even "ran" (a little awkwardly) when I gave him his breakfast. :)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Russell's doxycycline is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, so I'm wondering if it will be ok to give the doxy on its own? I ask this because he only has 2 days left before finishing his full 3 weeks of Baytril, so I'll have 1.5 days worth of both meds together before I run out of his Baytril prescription. Should I ask the vet to extend the Baytril as well, or will it be ok for him to continue on the doxy without the Baytril along with it?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Hi Breyer,
Just a thought...can you call the vet and ask her/him about it? I am curious as well to see what the vet thinks. Just more knowledge to have about Baytril and such in case my babies ever need to take it. Kisses and cuddles to your sweet boys! :sneakyhug

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
If you are getting the doxy because the baytril isn't working as well as it should, you are looking for the combo effect. Taking him off an antibiotic (baytril) that is somewhat working, and putting him only on doxy (a much weaker ab) would be counterproductive. The vet needs to extend his baytril.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
so is it perfectly fine to treat only with baytril if it works?
because doxy is expensive and I didn't even get the option to not give it with the baytril when I treated louna.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My vet always recommends to start with Baytril first, then if symptoms don't improve they add doxy. This is the first time I've needed the doxy, though. :)

I called the vet and they've extended Russell's Baytril prescription another 21 days to go along with the 21 day cycle of doxy. Hopefully this will get him feeling less sniffly!

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
so is it perfectly fine to treat only with baytril if it works?
because doxy is expensive and I didn't even get the option to not give it with the baytril when I treated louna.
No he isn't getting better fast enough...he stalled and started sneezing again, which is the reason your vet is doubling up his meds.

IF he was steadily improving on just baytril you wouldn't need the doxy in the first place.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
My vet always recommends to start with Baytril first, then if symptoms don't improve they add doxy. This is the first time I've needed the doxy, though. :)

I called the vet and they've extended Russell's Baytril prescription another 21 days to go along with the 21 day cycle of doxy. Hopefully this will get him feeling less sniffly!
That's great news!!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
No he isn't getting better fast enough...he stalled and started sneezing again, which is the reason your vet is doubling up his meds.

IF he was steadily improving on just baytril you wouldn't need the doxy in the first place.
I was asking in general. Louna had a URI, and my vet immediately prescribed baytril + doxy and didn't let me try just baytril. so i was wondering if baytril can work on its own for URIs and not need doxy.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was asking in general. Louna had a URI, and my vet immediately prescribed baytril + doxy and didn't let me try just baytril. so i was wondering if baytril can work on its own for URIs and not need doxy.
Yeah, like I said, my vet tends to prescribe the baytril first, and then add doxy if need be. In both of my boys' cases, though, their URI was at a VERY beginning stage, and thus easier to eradicate with just baytril alone. This time, Russell responded to the baytril within about 5 days, but then started sneezing again after the first week, so the vet added the doxy at that time. :)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts