Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a beagle named Missy. She is such a sweetheart, but I am having obedience problems with her. When she was younger, I was irresponsible with her and I let her roam around outside without any care in the world. I grew up after a year of realizing what having a dog is really about and now I am realizing how bad it was for me to let her run around.

Missy is a beagle and she is two years old. She was not on heartworm, flea guard, and she wasn't spayed. She also got pregnant at a year old and had our other puppy, Jake, and 7 other puppies. I know this is bad and that I was completely wrong and that is why I changed my ways. She is now on monthly heartworm protection, she has flea treatments once a month, and she is spayed (by laser).

I know that I was a bad owner, and I am trying to make it up to her because I know that she deserves better.

Missy lives outside of my grandmother's house (in a dog house) because of my current living situation. When I move out I am going to make sure that I have a fenced in yard for both her and Jake to have free space unrestrained during play time, and they will eventually be inside dogs (they are so great when indoors, besides the rough play).

ANYHOW, here is my question. Missy is very disobedient from my past carelessness. She doesn't ever pay attention to me long enough to learn to do things on command, and when she does know how to do things, she won't do them at all until food is involved. For example, a lot of times, I tell her to sit. She will not sit down unless I have a treat in hand because of the food motivation. How can I get Missy to be more attentive and obedient without food? I am keeping in mind that she is a hunting breed and that scents and other distractions (squirrels) will steal her attention, but how can I gain more of her attention?

Another question I have is, how can I play tracking games with her? What items do I need to use, and what method do I need to use for hiding objects for her to track?

Also, is there anything else that I can do to make her and my bond stronger? I feel like she is so independent and I want her to be bonded with me more.

Please do not flame me on my past with her, as I am trying hard to make it up to her by being the best daddy ever.

Thanks,

Kyle

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
just a recommendation I would not recommend letting her roam without a leash beagles are one of the most dogs that get hit by cars and get lost because there nose leads them to a scent and they have a preydrive to hunt ect, second retraining an older dog does take alot of patience exactly like training a puppy, you have to be really patient with them, also have you considered obiedence classes ? Obiedence classes might really help :) I hope someone else on her has some good ideas for you as well, and good luck with the training the effort will all pay off in the end.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I do not let her roam anymore. I stopped doing that a year ago, so she is safe from getting hit by a car.
Not say you still do just saying its not a good idea to do so :)sorry i didnt mean to offend you

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I think this is a bonding problem, not an obedience problem. She doesn't feel much of a relationship with you because of living outside and the previous roaming. Since you guys didn't do many activities together (playing, hiking, obedience classes, tricks, etc.) she's probably thinking of you more as someone who gives her tasty food sometimes. And if you don't have food, she has no reason to be interested.

I think once you spend more time with her and get her inside the house, you'll find that she'll more attentive :). She needs to see you as family. Look up positive reinforcement training (Beagles don't really respond well to negative training and punishment) and also see if you can locate an obedience class to help you get started.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Congrats on realizing your wrong :) Like Sasami said, bonding should come first. Take her out for a long walk each day while talking to her and praising her when she does something good. Pet her, massage her, find out what she likes to play with and play with her.
Coming from where I live I know about beagles. The breed is used as a tool for hunting here in NL and since 2001 the rescue Beagle Paws has rehomes 1263 beagles. Most coming from houses which are wire bottom, open to the elements and little to no human contact. With a bit of patience all of these dogs have been successfully transferred to an indoor lifestyle and have learned to trust humans and play. My sister fosters regularly for BP and from what she says about them adapting to indoors is just silly. Some do not know stairs, children, tables etc. . And she has remarkable success with bonding with them. All they need is a bit of TLC. Touch and voice are tremendous little things that can make the dog trust you and learn who you are.
As for tracking, no idea. I found this googling, http://www.dogplay.com/Activities/tracking.html But my guess is it should only be done in a fenced park.

**another note, is it possible to take the dogs to your place now before you move and begin the process faster?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think this is a bonding problem, not an obedience problem. She doesn't feel much of a relationship with you because of living outside and the previous roaming. Since you guys didn't do many activities together (playing, hiking, obedience classes, tricks, etc.) she's probably thinking of you more as someone who gives her tasty food sometimes. And if you don't have food, she has no reason to be interested.

I think once you spend more time with her and get her inside the house, you'll find that she'll more attentive :). She needs to see you as family. Look up positive reinforcement training (Beagles don't really respond well to negative training and punishment) and also see if you can locate an obedience class to help you get started.
I am sure that this is probably what it is. I am hoping to be able to walk her daily and be able to play with her as much as I can. I bought a 50 foot rope yesterday from PetSmart and tied her to it...it is exactly like a leash but it is made of nylon and is more of a rope than a leash. I let her run around and have 50 feet of freedom from me, so 100 feet diameter. Whereas, her 5 foot leash gives her 10 foot diameter. I called for her saying "Missy! Come Missy!" and then gave her a small treat and made it a big deal that she did something good. I am hoping that this will show her that returning to me when I call her name is important.

I want to do what I can to right my wrongs and get us on track.
Thanks for the advice. If you can think of anything else, let me know.

thanks,

kyle

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
my dog enjoyed tracking a cat toy mouse that was full of catnip (he's an odd one yes,... but catnip smells like nothing else in the area.. unless you have cats :p) They make catnip sacks and things that you could teach her to get interested in the smell and hide it in plain view, then in a corner, then under a towel, then harder spots. Messi caught on quick... but later ate the toy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts