Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need some help. Lilly is starting to get a bit of goop in her left eye, I think it's because I am using Carefresh and she is in an aquarium. I have never had a problem with any of my pets and Carefresh, but they have all been in well ventilated, wire cages and Lilly is in a 50 gallon aquarium to have her babies. I took out the Carefresh but what should I use now? I tried a towel, but she just burrowed until the towel was in a ball. The bottom is glass and I don't want the babies to be cold.. is there any safe way to weight down the towel?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
i dont know anything about rats or anything but what about trying yesturdays news? or paper towel. does she have a hide to hide in , as this maybe why she is trying to hide if she doesnt ??? its just a thought.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
You can use ink-free, scent-free paper towels. I recommend polar fleece instead of regular towels, because sometimes rats' toenails can get caught in the threads of towels. Fleece is thread- and snag-free, and you can wash it in the washing machine and reuse it until she chews it up! Since this is a maternity tank, I'd put a nesting box with extra fleece blankets and paper towels for her to nest with, and I'd line the entire cage with the fleece as well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, out fleece shopping I will go. As to her hidey holes, she has an animal crackers box with doors and windows, two small "Hay Houses" (little edible pet store houses), a hanging tent about one and a half or two inches off the ground and a paper towel roll. I put in a lot of Kleenex for her to make her nest with. Where can I buy lots of Fleece, cheap, in Canada?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
second hand shops :)dollar store

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh awesome dollar stores are cheap. =D On my way now thanks guys!!!!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Yep, dollar stores sometimes have them. I always go to the clearance bins at JoAnn Fabrics, and I've gotten some awesome deals there! (If you don't have a JoAnn's near you, check your regular fabric/craft stores. They will often have clearance bins with leftover scraps, sometimes in several yards, that are super cheap!)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We don't have any fabric stores here and Walmart was an hour drive. We went to a dollar store and they didn't have FLEECE but they had squares of soft, stitch free felt, I am going to cut the squares into strips and use those unless anyone knows why that wouldn't work? They're pliable and made of recycled material.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
That should work just fine. :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It worked a little bit TOO well - Lilly took EVERY SINGLE strip of fabric that was in there and piled it into the center of the cage. The pile stood about a foot and a half high and the rest of the cage was bare glass floor. So I had an idea, and it worked great. I took two screens from my window, put a bunch of Carefresh on one of them, put the other screen on, took it outside and banged the **** out of it. I lost about 1/4 of the bedding LOL, but I also eliminated almost ALL of the dust. I put it in the cage and Lilly's eye did not swell back up, I also put MOST of the fabric back in (but not all of it). Here's a picture of the "Maternity Tank" I took about five minutes ago - I know it's not ideal but it's the best I could do on such short notice, considering I wasn't ever planning on having baby rats.

On another note, I have to go back to where I got the rats on Monday, because MINNIE I am now pretty sure is also pregnant. And since I have ALL girls, she came that way as well - I was told they were breeding "pet rats" but I have a feeling I rescued some feeders and their offspring. Wish me luck on finding them all GOOD, LOVING homes!

For those of you who are wondering what's in the bowl, it's Whiskas kitten kibble, Oxbow Regal Rat lab block, bok choy, mushrooms and a few corn flakes as a treat. I vary the veggies (and fruit) daily, but that's basically their staple diet (well, not much kibble for the non-pregnant rats, maybe a few pieces each a day, mainly as treats).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts