Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see in a lot of pictures that people are using what looks to be fleece blankets instead of bedding. What are your opinons on this?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I use fleece liners. They are made up of two layers of fleece with quilting material on the inside. THey are completely sewn shut on all sides so they cannot get inside. It works great and I just throw them in the washing machine when I'm ready to clean the cage. The reason the fleece is okay is it does not have threads like other material that they could pull out and choke on.

I would not however use those fleece tie blankets because one of the chinchillas could try to get inside and get hurt or caught.

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
Not all true.
I have a lot of hammocks, made by the same system with fleece, and my animals gnaw right trough them if they want to -_-

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
They can be chewed through, however Alfie is right, fleece doesn't have "threads" like cotton because it's not a woven fabric, it's synthetic.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm hoping mine dont start chewing holes in them. The liners took me (an ameature sewer) a long time to make. so far they just drag the corners up so hopefully they dont start pulling them apart.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We got him the fleece and the cage looks much nicer......until the next day, now we truly see how much our little chin goes potty haha.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow, fleece liners? Around the bed pan? I'm assuming I read this right - fleece instead of pine bedding? Clue me in, I am curious to hear of this discovery. o_O Does this mean no pine bedding explosion after cleaning a cage anymore? No trash bags? Neat looking cage? Machine washable? Please enlighten me and point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I made these fleece liners from the direction of an old post. You can search for it, and it has pictures and how they are made. Obviously you would have to make your own measurements for your cage, but it really is a lot easier. I just shake them out in the garbage and throw them in the washing machine. Its good to have a spare set so you can put new ones in while you are washing the others. They are just set inside the pan.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fleece liners are really easy to make.. I use them in all my cages and I love them.. Mine also move the corners of the fleece up and get up under the liners.. But they don't chew them at all... I have saved a lot of money since I switched to the fleece liners from aspen shavings..

·
Registered
30 Posts
I like the fleece liners because they're easier to manage. Make 3 or so, then swap them out and wash them when needed. I also shake them out everyday (poos, old hay, and all) to prolong the amount of time I need to change them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts