Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been using pet store bedding for our bunny in her litter area. We have been told by another bunny owner that cat litter is better for attracting the bunny to do her "business". Need suggestions on this. thanks

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
"Normal" cat litter should NOT be used in a rabbit's litterbox. The clay is very dusty and bad for their respiratory tract, and the clumping can cause serious health problems if they ingest it (which they typically do by grooming themselves after using the bathroom).

There are alternative kinds of cat litter which work well in rabbit boxes, such as Feline Pine (which is pelleted wood) or Yesterday's News (which is pelleted paper product). But the regular type of cat litter you commonly see isn't a good idea. :)

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Whoever told you clay litter is good needs a good smack up the side of the head!! Or at least a good talking to. NEVER use anything that if ingested could kill them.
I use plain newspaper and they drag the hay out to sit on.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I use Yesterday's News for Rabbits and I LOVE it. It seriously doesn't smell at all! I use Sun Seed Eco Fresh bedding because it's virtually dust-free and doesn't smell either. Agreed that cat litter is VERY bad. Corn cob (kitten litter) is hazardous since the buns might eat it.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I used Yesterdays News for a good long time but I stopped when I began suffering my own recession. I couldnt afford it when Akina was drinking a bottle of water a day and peeing it all out. I also was told to stop lifting such heavy things bc I have no automobile transportation so I carry everything home. I loved it too- then my work began donating newspapers to me ^^

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
I use wood pellets, like Feline Pine but in 40lb bags. I love it!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Whoever told you clay litter is good needs a good smack up the side of the head!! Or at least a good talking to. NEVER use anything that if ingested could kill them.
I use plain newspaper and they drag the hay out to sit on.

I AGREE!! TWO SMACKS UPSIDE THE HEAD!!

Equine Fresh is what I use ;)

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Another vote here for Yesterday's News! I feel like I've tried every possible bedding/litter at this point and it's definitely the best IMO :).

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've also heard that Yesterdays News is a very good litter.
But isn't it very expencive?

I live in Norway, so I would have to order it on the internet.

At this moment, I'm using some wood pellets thing. Lol.
Don't know what it's called, but it works just fine.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I've also heard that Yesterdays News is a very good litter.
But isn't it very expencive?

I live in Norway, so I would have to order it on the internet.

At this moment, I'm using some wood pellets thing. Lol.
Don't know what it's called, but it works just fine.
I'm not sure but yeah, if you had to order it online, it'd be expensive after shipping. I'm in the U.S. so it's very cheap for me.

If what you're using works, I don't see a reason to switch anyways :).

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Yesterday's News is the best Ive had but I DID find traces of plastic and once I even found a sharp metal piece (think of a pencil when you sharpen it down to the metal eraser holder) and these were just the things I found. Thank god my bunnies dont eat and forage in the hay!!! Just something to keep in mind! If your bunnies eat the litter they're using I would advise against YN.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Yesterday's News is the best Ive had but I DID find traces of plastic and once I even found a sharp metal piece (think of a pencil when you sharpen it down to the metal eraser holder) and these were just the things I found. Thank god my bunnies dont eat and forage in the hay!!! Just something to keep in mind! If your bunnies eat the litter they're using I would advise against YN.
Did you contact the company?

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I did not because I had a website around the same time which advised against using TN for bunnies because of the pieces found. It wasn't a regional thing but that the original TN is specifically designed for cats and the traces of things in it shouldnt harm a cat who only goes to litter box to do his thing and leave where small animals hang out in their litter. YN designed a small animal version then and bumped up the price but scaled down the size of the bag but content is generally the same with little difference except that one is 'softer'-_- I guess there was a demand for the product but it was dumb if you bought it due to the size of the bag. Hmm.... Time to search for that website, No I didnt contact them bc the company is aware of the issue.
>>>http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/yesterdaynews.html

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I did not because I had a website around the same time which advised against using TN for bunnies because of the pieces found. It wasn't a regional thing but that the original TN is specifically designed for cats and the traces of things in it shouldnt harm a cat who only goes to litter box to do his thing and leave where small animals hang out in their litter. YN designed a small animal version then and bumped up the price but scaled down the size of the bag but content is generally the same with little difference except that one is 'softer'-_- I guess there was a demand for the product but it was dumb if you bought it due to the size of the bag. Hmm.... Time to search for that website, No I didnt contact them bc the company is aware of the issue.
>>>http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/yesterdaynews.html
Ah, ok, I see. Have those things been found in the newer version? Thankfully I shouldn't have any issues, anyways, since my angora doesn't have direct contact with the litter (you don't want an angora rabbit sitting in the litterbox, lol).

I know a lot of people keep a layer of carefresh on top, too, which should help unless the rabbit is a digger :).

There's another type of litter similar to YN that I've used...a Canadian brand. I forgot the name but it may be safer. I don't remember any objects in there.

I tried switching to Feline Pine a while back but the rabbits HATED it. One was sneezing and they all kicked it out and/or wouldn't use the litterbox :(.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I found pieces of plastic in a bag of Yesterday's News cat litter that I got like 2 weeks ago.

But I use grated litter pans, so my rabbits can't get to their litter anyways.

My favorite litter is Feline Pine. It seems to control odor the best, even with my 3 rabbits all using the same littler pans. But I still get Yesterday's News sometimes when it's on sale. Sometimes I mix the two, or just use whichever of the two is cheaper when I go to buy litter.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I'm not sure... I havent been using YN in more than a year now. Acacia just has newspaper and she drags her 'uneatable' hay down to sit on. It gives her somthing to do :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts