Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read an article today that PETA has asked Ben & Jerry's to use human breast milk to make their ice cream. I don't know about others but I find that gross! I know it's natural to drink breast milk - but I really feel that is something for a womans own child not for me to drink or in this case eat!!!
And where would they find enough breast milk to make all the ice cream they do? It sounds like it would be impossible.
Ben & Jerry's released a statement saying that breast milk should be left for the woman's child.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
I agree with you there. Breast milk is made for a baby...not ice cream.
I do not think I would eat ice cream that had human breast milk in it.
Just weird.

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
:rofl:

This shows how poor of a grasp of reality the folks at Peta have. That they would even consider this, let alone suggest it publicly, makes me think that they should invest in some serious, long term therapy.

Bob

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
More publicity stunts. bleh. Pushing the rice/soy alternatives would've made more sense. At least that's commerically viable.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
:rofl:

This shows how poor of a grasp of reality the folks at Peta have. That they would even consider this, let alone suggest it publicly, makes me think that they should invest in some serious, long term therapy.

Bob
My thoughts exactly. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
While I don't want to eat breast milk ice cream, I don't think Ben & Jerry's response was particularly effective. PETA will just agree with them that mother's milk is best left to babies the same way cow's milk is best left to baby cows!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Surely that's a wind up? Just the thought of eating something like that makes me feel slightly queasy, so wrong! I know some women donate breast milk to special baby units at hospitals for the very premature babies (a really good idea if you ask me), but ice-cream? No-one's gonna buy that!

·
Registered
420 Posts
There is a Swedish restaurant offering breast milk in its soups. They pay local women to deliver the breast milk and they are paid for it. I saw it a couple of weeks ago in a news story.

It is a rather disgusting idea and PETA is a horrible organization.

·
Herp Nerd
1,115 Posts
Almost everything PETA does is merely a publicity stunt to elicit donations to hold yet more publicity stunts. If they were really serious, they'd be working on the things that could actually be accomplished with animal welfare, instead of disgusting people by advocating extremist positions that are, sorry to say it, completely unobtainable. Meat, milk, and pets are not going to go away - ever.

·
Salamander Burgermuffin
2,612 Posts
Thats gross, but i agree, they answered just the way peta wanted them too. I personally would have answered, yeah sure we can do that, are you supplying the milk ? :p

·
Registered
544 Posts
It's not anymore disgusting than drinking cow milk. Or goat, dog, rat, etc.

The problem with that is only the diet of the mothers, and any diseases through bodily fluids.

And quoting some people from http://veggieboards.com :

"Its so funny how disgusting people think human breast milk would be in ice cream, yet are totally unfazed by another species' milk!!"

""We applaud PETA's novel approach to bringing attention to an issue, but we believe a mother's milk is best used for her child," said a spokesperson for Ben and Jerry's.

Do they really not see that mother's milk for all mammals is best used for their child - including the cow's milk they use in their products? "

"That is indeed an intriguing concept. Although I must admit I had a knee-jerk "ick" reaction to the idea of drinking human breast milk, on second thought it makes perfect sense. I've often joked about wishing for a cheese bush; this would be the next best thing!

That said, I don't know whether it would be feasible. Humans don't produce nearly as much milk as cows, and it would be quite a task to coordinate a sufficient number of lactating mothers in the brief window of milk's freshness, to make something as inefficient as cheese. At the very least, I'm guessing it would be hideously expensive."
"I think it's an improvement over cow milk, but I would wonder about quality controls. Are the women's diets and other substance intakes monitored? At least in farming, there's a known amount of whatever in the cow's system. An educated consumer could make an educated decision about whether to put all those hormones and crap into their bodies.

I doubt most lactating women would want to submit detailed reports on everything they've consumed. I would worry about diseases that can be communicated through body fluids."

"Okay, so I researched this because of the thread and found this article from a big weekly magazine (picture of nursing mother, maybe NSFW in some areas?)
http://www.stern.de/politik/panorama...ch/639315.html
It’s only one Swiss restaurateur’s idea, just a plan, not reality. The “breastmilk dishes” are not on the menu. My guess is it’s just to get some publicity for his place. Also, he says the dishes are only palatable (or "fluffy", rather), if he mixes the human breastmilk with dairy cream.

Quote:
Der Zürcher Kantonschemiker Rolf Etter sagte dazu, der Mensch gehöre nicht zu jenen Säugetieren, deren Produkte man verarbeiten dürfe. Konkret verboten sei dies allerdings auch nicht. "Der Mensch ist als Lieferant einfach nicht vorgesehen", meinte Etter, der das Kochen mit Muttermilch für einen Verstoß gegen das Lebensmittelgesetz hält.
(roughly transl.) Food chemist: Humans are not among the mammals whose products may be processed, humans are not meant* as (milk) suppliers, cooking with human breastmilk would be against food safety regulations. (*I guess he means "unlike other mammals like cows")

The reader comments are interesting. One writes that it’s a perverted idea, because it would be like turning women into “milk-giving cows”. Another one: “Maybe one should not eat everything, just because it does not kill you – really, we are no cows”. I guess neither of them sees the real perversion in humans consuming another species’ milk though."

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
so peta thinks that farming humans would be ok? oooo.... i donno i think it's icky and i don't agree that milking something hurts the animal, along with hair of animals, such as sheep and camel wool is bad, trust me a sheep doesn't mind being sheered for the summer. they love it. our sheep are always happy when they are sheered, they can itch better and run around doing binkies

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
It's not anymore disgusting than drinking cow milk. Or goat, dog, rat, etc.
I LIKE goat milk, ..thankyou very much. Do not malign my cloven hooved compadres!

BTW, ...cow, horse, goat milks all pretty much taste that same to me. I don't find them gross at all.

The whole reason PETA suggested this was to shock people, or to gross them out. I don't believe that any rational person would consider this (or any other PETA suggestion for changing the world) seriously.

It's just another one of their PR stunts. Another step in a long line of stupid ideas, out of touch opinions, outright lies, and a history of support of violent extremists.

Bob

·
Registered
39 Posts
That is gross. We have a burn center in Milwaukee, WI that buys breast milk to help the burn victims. How I dont know, but it it helps us out financally when we had our first one. I can see something like that, but for ice cream or soup??? Gross.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
uhhh,Peta is getting worse...

and a human drinking a cow's milk yet saying drinking human milk is discusting is hypocritical..thats why i havent said its discusting-b/c i do consume dairy,but i havent said i would try it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I think the gross part for me is that some humans don't maintain a proper diet while cows do... Also humans can have some pretty nasty diseases :O

Cows don't mind being milked, if you don't milk them their udders will hurt :( My grandpa has cows and they are always happy. They beg for apples when they are in season. They're so sweet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts