Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your opinion what species of snakes are best for a kids' first reptile? I am partial to corns as I have two, so I would recomend them, and I know they are a good choice for beginners, but I thought I'd get other pet lovers' educated opinions. Maybe I'm forgetting a species that would be also a good choice. I ask because my 12 year old cousin is considering getting a snake and my aunt is asking for my advice as I am the 'animal dictionary' of my family.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Corn snake, hands down. A rosy boa wouldn't be a bad choice, either :). Just make sure he gets a healthy, captive-bred snake that's already eating frozen mice.

I would avoid ball pythons (even though I personally love them) because of their feeding issues. Plus, they're more sensitive and less forgiving of improper conditions. They are calmer, though.

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
It's a very subjective question. Get what you want, are are motivated to keep. Read up on the internet, get caresheets, magazines and books. There are many options.

Milk snakes/ Rat snakes are my faves. I especially like the 'Tricolors'. I will take a Sinaloan Milksnake over just about anything.

You can't go wrong with a Rat/Corn/Milk snake either, though.

Stay away from wild caughts, Garters, big Boas and Pythons, and some of the rarer, more exotics that need more specialized care.

If you do feel the need for a boid to start with, many folks are happy with their Ball Pythons. For a python, they stay small, eat small food and tend to deal with handling better than most.

Bob

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
stay away from a king snake often they are told they are awesome beginner snakes but sometimes they are really bite-y and get over 6 foot and are fast and don't like being messed with much. Others have good personalities... though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts