Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bil-Jac Select Dog Food
Ingredients
Fresh Chicken By-Products (Organ Meat Only), Fresh Chicken, Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Fresh Chicken Liver, Brewers Dried Yeast, Cane Molasses, Eggs, Salt, Sodium Propionate (a preservative), DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Menaione, sodium Bisulfate Complex, (source of Vitamin K), D-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Inositol, BHA (a preservative), Iron Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Potassium Iodine, Sodium Selenite.

First question, is Bil Jac safe from this recent food poison going on?

Is it ok for them to just eat this or should I be mixing it up with something else? It's a lil crunchy but not that much. They do have greenies and bisquits too.

My Maltese loves this food.
Vet says it's good for him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
By products and corn aren't good for dogs or cats. We as human don't digest corn and dogs and cats don't either.

If you're looking for a good, healthy food for your dogs I recommend Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul dog food.

Here are the ingredients for their Adult Formula dog food:

Ingredients
Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, ocean fish meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, oatmeal, millet, white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, egg product, tomato pomace, duck, salmon, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, choline chloride, dried chicory root, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, Enterococcus faecieum, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

It's a pretty pricey dog food, but it's one of the best dog foods you can buy. They'll poop less, eat less, and shed less.

Here's a link to their website:

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul : Products : Dogs : Dry Food : Adult Dog Formula

·
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes
2,934 Posts
I just put my dogs and cats on Newman's Own Organic food. But the Chicken soup looks really good too. I do like the fact that the newmans uses free range human quality chickens and all organic ingredients. They also donate money to animal charities. Again it isn't a cheap food.
And I have already noticed they eat less of it. I am hoping that it slims my Belle down.

·
Registered
547 Posts
how pricey is pricey? and is there such a thing as a cheaper good quality food? cuz i'm poor! I can't even afford to feed myself good quality chicken and such.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
samantha21 said:
By products and corn aren't good for dogs or cats. We as human don't digest corn and dogs and cats don't either.

If you're looking for a good, healthy food for your dogs I recommend Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul dog food.

Here are the ingredients for their Adult Formula dog food:

Ingredients
Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, ocean fish meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, oatmeal, millet, white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, egg product, tomato pomace, duck, salmon, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, choline chloride, dried chicory root, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, Enterococcus faecieum, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

It's a pretty pricey dog food, but it's one of the best dog foods you can buy. They'll poop less, eat less, and shed less.

Here's a link to their website:

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul : Products : Dogs : Dry Food : Adult Dog Formula
Thanks for that, it does look good but where can I find some reviews/research on this product?
As you can agree, switching to a new dog food can be a little scary right now but I want the best for my dog no matter the price.

I'll run this food by my Vet also.
Thanks again.

Newmans looks good too.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I use the chicken soup products for my cat's. It's about $8.00 for the 6 lb bag. I think the big bags (18 or 20 lbs) are like $17-20, but I don't buy those so I'm not positive. In my opinion, I don't think it ends up being that much more expensive than cheaper brands of food because they really do eat less of it (nutrient density vs. filler, I presume). That's just the experience I've had with my cats.

I realize you're talking about dogs, but I don't have dogs - I assume the principle is the same though so I thought I'd chime in.

You'll definitely find critics of Chicken Soup products. A lot of them because they don't like Diamond. Someone else in one of these other threads said there's only a couple of major pet food manufacturers though; how do you find one that actually produces food on a small scale??

I believe chicken soup is also human grade and all natural (depending what worth you give those label claims given our government standards), just not organic like Paul Newman. My girl's didn't like the tast of the Paul Newman, or Canidae :shrug:.

If you google pet product name and reviews, you'll find all sorts of stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts