Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ther,e
I posted yesterday about my new bird, a ringnecked parakeet, and I have done a lot of research and can't seem to find out much about how much sleep they need, how much cage covered time they should have etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
andrew

· Curmudgeon
1,844 Posts
Most birds should have little trouble adapting to your sleep habits, unless you work third shift...

Birds naturally sleep off and on throughout the day. At night the sleep more, but they still have periods of relative wakefullness. Try to keep the TV or stereo from blasting too loud after nine pm or so, but when most birds get tired, they will sleep on their own.

Your bird will take a few weeks to get used to his new surroundings, so don't expect 'normal' behaviors for awhile. Just give him some time and space to get comfortable. Ringnecks are great, adaptable little birds, and he'll fit right in, don't worry.

Covering the cage is really an owner's preference. Sometimes it's effective for helping the bird quiet down at night, sometimes it isn't. None of my birds like to be covered, yet I have friends who do it religiously. I see no difference.

bob

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

She's being pretty good so far...I've been covering her but she really doesn't make any noise. Is that normal? Also sometimes she get real snippy in her cage, as if she is going to attack like a lunge at me through the cage...i assume most of this is still just adapting to her new surroundings? Any advice that you could give would be great.

Thanks,
Andrew

· Curmudgeon
1,844 Posts
Ringnecks are quiet birds by nature, that's one of the many great things about them. They can learn to talk, but they have a lot of neat sounds they make on their own. It doesn't bother me at all if a bird doesn't talk, ...they all are able to communicate just fine without it.

Af first, your bird may or may not be a little afraid of you, especially your hand in his cage. Patience and time should take care of that. I'd make sure the wings are clipped, and then start leaving the cage door open and allowing him to come out on his own. When he does, reward him with a seed, a piece of cracker or bread, and then just walk away. Let him have some time to get used to the new sounds and sights of your house. Act casually around him, don't stare too much (that's what predators do), and soon he'll feel right at home.

Once you get him comfortable, you can start working with step up and putting him back in his cage. It shouldn't be a big problem. You'll have the occasional setback, don't worry. You're both in it for the long haul, and things will all work out.

bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.