Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. :)

So, Smudge's check-up is supposed to be in June, and the vet wanted to get fulll bloodwork done this year. Actually, it was supposed to be last year, but I wasn't expecting the price ($125) because when I got him fixed it was only $50, and I thought that was the normal price but I guess that wasn't full blood work LOL. So he said it was OK ot put it off a year.

So anyways, what are they looking for/checking when they do full blood panals? I have to explain to my mom why this is going to be so expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Full blood panels can serve as a way to detect a lot of possible health issues - everything from anemia and infections, to things like some cancers and organ problems.

Sometimes you'll luck out and have a disease/problem caught early in a blood panel. It can be easier to treat some things if they are caught early, and you can save your pet some discomfort if problems are caught even before symptoms start to show up.

Another important reason why your vet may want to do a blood panel, even on a healthy pet, is because it can help the vet to set the baseline for what is normal for your individual animal. That way, if your pet ever gets sick, the vet will have bloodwork results from when the pet was healthy to compare the new results with. Knowing more clearly what is normal for your pet can help the vet to pick out abnormalities if something ever goes wrong.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, thanks Michelle! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts