Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 1/2 year old (spayed) female, Belle, and just brought home a 2 month old male, named Leon. Leon has obviously not been neutered yet, as he is still very young. We haven't officially started "bonding" them yet, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to go about it. :confused:

I have put their cages close together so they can look at each other. Leon seems to be unfazed by Belle, but Belle is obviously upset by his presence. At one point when Leon was in his cage and Belle was out of her cage running around, she went up to his cage and started climbing up the outside, obviously distressed, and started a "boxing" action. I think I also heard grunting noises coming from her. This obviously scared little Leon...

I am concerned that when I DO put them together in a neutral place, Belle will definitely try to kill Leon. And he is so much smaller than her to begin with!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!! :)

· Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Hey :)

First of all I would wait until little Leon is neutered and recovered before you start any serious bonding attempts. If you bond them now, chances are you may have to separate them down the line when it's time for Leon to get neutered and for at least a few days during his recovery, and separating a bonded pair like that can be very stressful for them and/or can even break the bond. Plus, when Leon hits sexual maturity his personality may change and hormones may cause him to act more aggressive, which could also cause fights and break the bond. Rabbits have very good memories - if they get into a fight due to Leon's hormones or any other reason than Belle may be less likely to bond with him again.

You can keep their cages next to each other so they can smell and see each other but I wouldn't let them interact too much, not even through the cage bars. One of my bunnies has a messed up nose from sticking his nose in between the bars of another rabbit's cage - he was just being curious but the caged bunny bit his nose and literally almost ripped half his nose off. Just because they are separated by bars doesn't mean they can't do harm to each other if they don't get along.

Other than caging them near each other I've found it useful to swap their stuff. I think it helps them get use to having each others sent on their territory. You can either switch who stays in which cage every so often, or swap things like toys and litter boxes back and forth between them.

By the time Leon is old enough to be neutered he should also be bigger and him and Belle should be more used to each others presence if they are caged near each other all that time. Then you can try doing short bonding sessions in a neutral spot.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! It seems like a good idea to wait until Leon is neutered. I just don't want him to get hurt...Belle is such a sweet girl, but for some reason, she just hasn't loved the idea of a new "friend."

On to another question..... Belle took to the litter box like THAT. Leon, on the other hand, is not grasping it at all. Any suggestions???

Thanks!!

· Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Neuter him, his habits won't improve until he's no longer feeling the need to mark hormonally.

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
True. I agree with Dragon so they stay close enough together to know each other's scent but I lived with an unnetuered male bunny with my old roommates. Acacia was spayed and they ran around the living room together. Problem was, Acacia tolerated him but all he wanted was to *ahem* hump her! Then when Akina came into my care there were hormone and tensions all over the place bc Mr. Bunny Head (yes, that was his name) was interested in mating and Akina had not been spayed. It ws gross. Pee everywhere. Spraying it at each other when my roommate decided to let her bunny 'free roam' and my door was open! Dumb move.

Anyway. Once he's a big boy and can be neutered I think things will go good :) Girl bunny should calm down. Although, I admittedly noticed a change in Acacia since living alone without Akina around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.