Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard on the news that Borders bookstores are having financial problems, and that there's a possibility that they may close down for good. How does everyone feel about this?

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Hmm, too bad. If they're good, I mean. I don't know what that is tbh. When I have time to read for leisure and not for school I prefer to get second hand books (for prices, local businesses, and to pass it along when I'm done.) I read a book over Christmas in Nova Scotia at my bf's dad's place and left the book htere after writing a little note in it saying where it came from and who it came from (I had found it in the cupboard at work for garbage) and when he was done he wrote a note in it and brought it to the USA with him and gave it to a lady in California. . . Pass it along books are the best. I don't buy them online bc it's less personal . . ^^ Just my input!

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Yea i think it is closing for good, its sad, but i think what is more sad is most small book stores are now gone. Barns and noble and amazon are killing them. honestly though barns and noble and amazon are convenient.

·
Super Moderator
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it's sad that Borders is closing down, because Walmart and other places don't carry the amount of choices that Borders has. I also think that it's bad for some local economies. I'm not against Amazon or digital books, but I've enjoyed buying books at Borders. I've heard that Barnes and Nobles went through something similar awhile back, but it doesn't sound as though Borders is going to make it.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
OH, I don't know what Borders is :/ I thought it was online. All-book stores like Borders and CHapters are good stores, the mark up on the books suck IF you can get the book cheaper at Wal Mart. I am guilty of admitting that I would find out the cheaper deal and to **** with the book-only store. :< But I think used book stores are the real prize in finding books unless you have something specific to pick up or are getting it as a gift. :(

·
Super Moderator
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I ordered a book and had it shipped to Borders, the shipping was free. If I have something shipped to my house, there's no guarantee what kind of shape it's going to be in when it gets here. What I'm concerned about is with Borders closing is that a lot of publishers could go more digital.

·
Resident Zoologist
262 Posts
It is a terrible shame that we are losing bookshops. There is nothing that compares to a physical book...the feel, the scent, etc...and likewise physical bookshops....they have a magical atmosphere that cannot be replaced...the e-books, readers, and online shops are completely soul-less....and the big-box stores only slightly less so.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I love my e-book reader, as it has options for self published books, those that have been turned down by publishing houses are now being able to get out there, have their books read, reviewed and is adding income for writers. I've found a few really awesome writers now.

I do love book stores though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts